1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

#9 shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by WNCRob, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I am a relatively new shooter, but currently carry a 96 singles average and about an 89 average in doubles. I am an advocate for #9 shot...with just under 200 more pellets than a comparable #8, I like the math. Further, I feel that they maintain adequate energy for any singles and the the first shot of doubles. Lt.Mod. is fine for the 1st shot in doubles, but for singles, I prefer I.Mod. Some may argue that in wind, #9's are less than ideal..well, ok. Maybe. You be the judge. In summary, try them out and see if it works for you. Its mostly in our heads, anyway. At these short distances, I don't think it matters much.

Rob M.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

One thing to keep in mind, ALOT of top skeet shooters are using shot larger than 9s (8.5s are popular, as are 8s), for greater kinetic energy, and those shots are ALWAYS 25 yds or less. You have to shoot pretty darn quick to hit a trap target @ that distance. I've been using 8.5s for skeet for a couple years now and strongly prefer them to 9s (except in the .410, i use 9s as you give up pattern density with larger shot sizes).

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Arnold Reigger used #9 shot back as far as the 22 yard line and dominated the game of trap. Yes, they work as Rob M. said. Hap

4. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I use 7/8 oz. # 9 shot for 1st. shot doubles, and 1 oz. #9 for singles. Nothing but smoke. I use a full choked mx-10. Ben

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use 8.5 one ounce for singles, but have seen some long shots made with 9. I don't think it can be done consistently though.

HM

6. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

One of the greats.

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Some say Arnold was responsible for the ATA's moving the maximum Handicap yardage from 25-27. I believe he was also the guy who never bothered to kick empty shells from under his feet-just stood on top of 'em.

One of the finest shooters of that era!!

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

#9 launched at 1200fps retains 0.5 ft/lb of energy to 40 yards (around 38 yds if 1150fps). 0.5 ft/lb is "recommended" as the minimum energy required to reliably break a clay target. That being said, i watched a friend run them from the 27 with the only load he had with him, 7/8oz #9.

9. Hap MecTweaks

gslam, he began his domination in registered shooting with a very cheap grade of Winchester mod.37. I haven't found out for sure yet, his 37 may have been whats called a taper bored full choke. On the ATA site you can read some very interesting articles about this great shooter! His domination of the sport with his 37 and later, a Win. mod. 12, is thought to be responsible for the 25 and 27 yard mark being put in place. Hap Seems I always spell his name wrong!

10. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I hope EVERYONE uses #9 shot............

GS

11. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

#9's are fine, I use 1oz of #9's from 16yds a lot. With ammunition I have found that if you think it will work, it will. Just don't think about it and it will work fine.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Ajax, I posted from memory of what I read in "The Road To Yesterday" on the HOF site.

"During his early days, Riegger shot a Winchester Model 37, a single-shot, break-open gun with an exposed hammer and no rib. It was a youth or beginner's model that he bought for $7.80. Winchester never meant it to be a trapgun, but no one ever bothered to tell Arnold.

At the Redmond Gun Club during the second war, he ran 177 straight with his little Model 37. Then trouble started. The barrel heated up so much that the action wouldn't easily open and close. Not to be daunted by this inconvenience, he broke 99 from 22 yards with #9 shot and then sold the gun. The next day he bought another one for $15."

I wasn't there to know for sure either. Hap

13. G-12

G-12 TS Member

I recall seeing Arnold shooting one year at the Grand at Vandalia. He didn't call for the target like other shooters. He actually used a whistle he held in his mouth to signal for his bird. Man was he good!!! Ben

14. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Show me a target you can break with #9 that you can't break with 7 1/2 and I will shoot em.

jim brown

15. Hap MecTweaks

Thanks Ajax, like you, I didn't want everyone to think I was making up the story about Arnold shooting 9s pretty good either. Owning the same field grade mod.12 since I was a kid myself, I can identify with the trigger problems he had. Most times the worn pins and spring problems won't show up on pressure gauges when the gunsmith tries it once or twice. I wish I could've met the man, saw him but didn't know at the time exactly the caliber shooter he was as I was new to the game. Hap

16. jim brown

There is little or no doubt that he alone caused the move from 25 to 27 yards.

jim brown

17. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"Show me a target you can break with #9 that you can't break with 7 1/2 and I will shoot em."
    True enough.
    Also, how me a target you can break with #7 1/2 that you can't break with #9's and I will shoot em.

Bottom line: 9's, 8's, 8 1/2's, 7 1/2's....any difference in target-breaking ability at normal trap yardages is purely in our heads.

18. jim brown

Code5,

Ever shoot back-up, protection, Annies or whatever you want to call them from over 40 yards? Ever see dust come off one of your 27 yard target you shoot with #9 and wonder if 7 1/2's would have broken it? I have.

jim brown

19. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Jim,
    re-read my post. Note the phrase; "at normal trap yardages".

Annies, buddies/protection, etc. are not considered normal trap yardages, they are abnormally long shots.
    I personally shoot #6's as 3rd, 4th, 5th etc. shots at Annies, FYI, so in that respect I agree with you. My first shot could well be #9's.

As far as the dust, who's to say 7 1/2's wouldn't have dusted the same bird?? Certainly not you or I. I see lots of dusted targets with 7 1/2's...one pellet of anything, hitting the clay at just the right spot will produce dust but not breaks. As I said, even though it's mostly in our heads it's still important to us.

20. jim brown

Code5,

Many, Many years ago I was using #9 for singles. I marked the primers with black magic marker. At that time I got in a shoot-off for HAA at the Winter Chain shoot in Tucson. I got my stuff together for the shoot-off including shells. As usual we shot singles, handicap then doubles. We both shot singles straight 20 each. I broke 9 handicap from 27 and the gentleman from Colorado broke 10. When I went to get my shells for doubles I discovered that the empties in my bag from handicap had black primers (I had shot #9 and missed one). We both broke 10 doubles and I lost the trophy 39 to 40. Did the #9 shot from 27 cost me the one target? I don't know, but I do know that since that day I have shot the same shell for singles, doubles and handicap. I never get the wrong shells. They are all 1150 fps #7 1/2 which I know will do the job. I don't have to worry about which shell I get in for the first or second shot of doubles. I never get to the line for handicap and discover I have my 16 yard shells. It's one less thing I have to think about while I am shooting.

It works for me. I recommend it to new shooters. I recommend that experienced shooters do what ever in the heck has been working for them.

Shoot straight and often

jim brown

PS, want to buy 1/2 bag of #9's?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.