1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

#9 shot from the 27 yard line?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dannyw68, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

This weekend, I was testing out a new skeet load shooting 1 oz of #9 at about 1200 ft/s. I had some shells left over and was testing them out on the trap field. To my surprise, I hit 22 out of 25 from the 27 yard line with these shells and an IM choke. And just for the hell of it, I shot some from the fence line (45 yard line...?) and hit about 50% of them.

This seems odd because conventional wisdom seems to be that #9 shot has no place in 16 yard trap, let alone handicap. Has anyone else had this experience? Is this typical? I am about to order 400 lbs of shot, 100 lbs #9, 200 lbs #8, and 100 lbs #7 1/2. I am wondering now after this experience if shot size is less important than pattern density. And if this is true, maybe I should shift my order to #9, #8 1/2, and #8's instead? Is there any practical benefit to to 7 1/2's over the smaller shot sizes?

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Wind will kill #9's on the back line.

3. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

No. 9 shot is best inside 25 yards.

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'll argue just about anything.. but you had a very lucky day.. or you are a VERY fast shot.. As the guys stated.. a windy day will wreck havok with #9's over long yardage.. I've done OK with 8.5's but perfer #8's at 1330 fps with a very tight choke..

5. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

It it were only that simple. We could all put in no. 9's and a cylinder choke and be done with it.

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

There are holes in a pattern. You must have enough shot to fill those holes.

So either a tighter choke, or more pellets. I know my answer. YMMV.

Don Verna

7. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

You broke a 22/25...is that average, better, or worst than what you normally do? I know someone that shoots 8.5 shot from the 27 and he's run 100 from there. Obviously he feels comfortable with that and it works for him...personally, I'll stick to my 7.5s (sometimes I use 8s when it's a really nice day, not sure why, though).

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

9's are best used for skeet shooters, and, are pretty good at the 16yd. when it is a very hot, still summer day. For the most part, in my humble opinion, 9's are pretty useless on the trap field. They just do not have the weight necessary to break the targets consistantly. I would prefer 8's from the 16 to the 24yd line, and 71/2's from the 25 and back. Personally, I shoot 71/2's for everything: Singles, Doubles, and Handicap. Just my personal preferance. While I have shot a few pretty good singles scores with 9's, I have shot many, many more good singles scores with 8's or 71/2's. If 9's were the answer, all the big dogs would be shooting 9's, wouldn't they?.... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

If you can show me a target that I can break with #9 that won't break with #7.5 I will shoot #9. Until then I will stick with my #7.5 from all distances. Skeet shooters use #9 because they shoot extreme angles and anything bigger will drop outside of their safe limits on most ranges.

jim brown

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

FITASC and sporting clay shooters tend to use 8 or 8 1/2 shot - many of their targets are broken beyond 75 yards.

Food for thought...

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Air density has a lot to do with it!

If you are at a high altitude, on a hot dry, windless day...#9s will grind up targets....but...on a cold damp windy day at sea level, even 16 yards will be a tough fight with #9s.

Here in So California, on a hot dry day, I wlill use #8½s for long yardage, but if the wind is blowing, out come the #7½s !

12. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

I shot some 9's at 16 yards for the first time this past Saturday just to give it a try. I was not real happy with most of the breaks and I saw 2 or 3 that dust poured off them pretty good and they didn't break. It was really windy though so I want to try them again in better conditions but I have a feeling I will be sticking with 8's. Tom

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

your kiding yourself if you think you will shoot 27 yard handicap better with 9's. there is a reason the rules state no larger shot to be used than 7 1/2's. in calcuttas, i usually use 9's, 4's and 5's.
    steve balistreri

14. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Is it TROLL or is it Troll ??????

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

How do you know they were #9s? HMB

16. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I have run 25 from the 27 with 9's, That said, I wouldn't use them on a regular basis.

Rick in Mt.

17. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

N.J Bob,

What is this troll crap about? I'm asking a legitimate question to get the opinions of those with more experience than me. Maybe you should say something constructive, or just keep your unwanted comments to yourself.

The reason I brought this up was because on a whim, I shot shells loaded with #9's in ways that I had thought should not have yielded good results (I measured the shot with calipers and they are #9). I normally average about 23-24 from 16 yards and about 21-22 from 27 yards. It was surprising that I was able to match what I normally shoot using #8 or #7 1/2.

Thanks to all those with helpful comments.

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

1.5 ounces of 10.5 shot always works very well.

19. abiezer

abiezer Guest

one round won't tell you a whole lot.
    Keep shooting the #9's from the 27, and eventually you'll
    answer your own question.
    I shoot #7 1/2's,i once read a study that was done over thousands
    and thousands of rounds from the 27,with the same shooters and loads,
    only the shot size was changed #7 1/2's and #8's, and the shooters never
    knew which one they we're shooting.
    all tallied at the end, the #7 1/2's were better by a couple/few tenth of a percentage point,but that's 2 to 5 targets out of 1000.

20. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

This is like everything else in trap from stance to gunfit to choke to load to practice. It's not about the 90% -95% you break, it is about the 5%-10% you don't break.

Is changing any of these varibles going to help you break one more of the last 5-10 targets? It's not that shooting 9s allows to break 90% but if I shoot 9s will I break at least one more of the remaining 10? Will changing my gunfit, choke, load stance allow me to break one more of the ones I'm missing.

And, the closer your average gets to 100, the harder it becomes to identify where the next target, or fraction thereof, is going to come from.

It's called the Law of Diminishing Returns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cousin shots from 27 yard lline