1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

#9 shot for trap singles??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ontario Chris, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I have a line on a large lot of #9 chilled shot for a very good price. Wondering if this shot would be OK in 1 oz. loads for 16 yard targets and first shot of doubles?

Thanks for the info,

Chris

2. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

#9 is fine, as is just about anything else. However, if you are using the 1 oz loads for practice and if you plan to use 1 1/8th oz loads for competition, your timing may be off a bit as the 1 oz load will probably be a little faster. After experimenting, I've decided that I'll shoot 1 1/8th oz loads for everything. Also, some may feel that #9's are too light to use in the wind...IMHO, I don't think it matters.

WNCRob

3. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Hi Chris:
    Are you from Ontario? I'm in Connecticut and I've used #9 for Trap in the winter and they've bounced off/dusted the birds. Also alot more chips. Frozen Clay birds are harder I think in the winter. I usually switch go to 7.5's.
    Dave T.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They will be fine. And you can load 7/8 oz and still have alot of pellets going to the target at high speed. HMB

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Are you sure HMB? Chilled shot is soft. I don't think the quantity over quality/size works in this situation. Dave T.

6. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Wouldn't be my first choice, and I don't think I'd use it in the winter or at a club I knew was throwing bios, but the 1 1/8 oz of #9 factory loads that I've used in the summer have broken targets just fine. I don't doubt 1 oz or 7/8 oz of #9 would work too.

~Michael

7. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I have shot soft 9s and they work just fine in the summer time.

8. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I used to shoot 8.5s in my Beretta in summer, they didn't work in really cold winter weather, especially in high winds. Fantastic in the other 3 seasons. Bill Malcolm

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've shot 8.5's in a one once load for years on the 16. The will turn a target into dust.

10. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

For those who shoot relatively quickly (i.e., the range is relatively short)
    9s will undoubted work ok. For those who are a little slower to acquire and shoot the target and thus have a longer shot, 9s may not work well as they lose energy much faster than 7.5s or 8s and thus may, in some cases, not be able to break the target. This would especially be true in cold weather when the targets are harder to break. There is a reason that the top dogs use 7.5s pretty much across the board-that being, I think, that they just more reliably
    break targets overall in any given situation. IMO.

11. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

A few years ago I watched a guy shoot #9 skeet loads from the 27 yard line down at Casa Grande. He only dropped a few. Perhaps the fact that he was shooting a purple Lujtic had some thing to do with it. Target temp anout 82 degrees.

12. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

7/8oz of #9 shot in a CB4100 wad pushed by 16.5gr Nitro100 absolutely powders 'em back to the 24. There are well over 500 pellets in this load, and if you do your part you will be very impressed with the results. I would MUCH rather shoot 3 or 4 hundred of these a day than any 1 1/8oz load. JMHO

AndyH

13. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I use 1 oz. #9 shot exclusively from the 16 and 7/8 oz. #9 for 1st shoot of doubles. I have now complaints. BRGII

14. racer

racer TS Member

How about sharing some averages with 9 shot? Thanks,Dan

15. Frye

Frye TS Member

I'm comfortable with 9's from the 16.. but for me, going to the 20 yard line with 'em don't give me the warm, fuzzies. 7.5's winter, and 7.5 or 8's spring/summer.
    Get's durrrrnnnnn cold in my home town.
    I have a couple of bags of 9's weighing down my reloading bench! Best use I've found for 'em yet.

Bust 'em UP..

Frye

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Racer, I've got 5 or 6 - 100s at the 16 yard line with 7/8 oz of 9s. When in doubt, just point at the bird and watch it seem to disappear.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

17. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I ran my first 100 straight with 9's...should have been using them sooner I guess. My 16's load is one oz. of 8 or 8 1/2's about 1180fps.

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Do you really know any more now than when you started. It is going to depend on you, your gun and how and where you shoot and the time of the year. I wouldn't use them for other than 1st shot of doubles or skeet if you have the proper attire.

And some of you wonder why better shooters "take advantage of you". You handicap yourself right out of the box.

Don

19. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

BIG Donnie, WTF are you talking about? Are you just raving? BRGII

20. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Unless you shoot fast you would be better off with 8's or 7 1/2's. 9's are my favorite for skeet and also a very good choice for the close shots in sporting clays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
8 or 9 shot for youth

9 shot for trap

9 shot for trap shooting

can you use 9 shot for trap
is number 9 shot good for target shooting
number 9 shot for singles
number 9 shot for trap

trap shooting with 9 shot