1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

$9 per Round, are they Nuts!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpr80, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I am at a loss for words. Went shooting yesterday to a local public range and they are raising their prices to $9 per round of Trap/Skeep and $10 for Sporting. Are they out of their damn minds? I realize that living in the NYC metro area things are more expensive, but this is disgusting!

2. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Then don't move to Florida. Thats what it is down here.

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I would have to quit shooting if it was that much around here. Paying $3 now.

4. ismah

ismah Member

Come to Washington State! It's $3.00 a round here. Plus, free cookies.

5. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

The only saving grace is that there another club in the area that charges just $4 for member....if I had to pay $9 per round then I wouldn't be able to afford to shoot.

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

At Markham Park in S. Florida it's $7.25 a round. Understand that Markham is a county run public facility so the county sets the rates. Even so, there's no shortage of shooters on weekends.

Eric

7. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

Hey VPR80. I was at the same club and saw the price increase. Thankfully I bought two full cards the week before, but once those run out I need to find someplace else. Plus, it is not that this club has the greatest, nicest people running it anyways. If you or I see something that is a better value in NCY, Northern NJ area, lets post it.

8. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

10 bucks is cheap for sporting clays... well I guess it depends on the number of targets in a round. Every where I go its 100 target course. And yes 9 bucks is too high for 25 trap or skeet.

9. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Jerseyshooter, you took the words out of my mouth. They certainly are not the nicest and the fields looked like sh~t with the layer of garbage and shells. For that much money, they can at least keep it clean. I also bought a card this weekend for the old price, but I am only going there to shoot skeet. For Trap, go to the club in Fairfield (North Jersey Clay Target Club), VERY nice facility and much more reasonable pricing.

10. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

WesleyB, I think it's $10 for 25, never shot sporting there but I HIGHLY doubt it's more than 25.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

The limited time I have spent in NYC suggested to me that everything is too expensive in that area.

Pat Ireland

12. pfofml

pfofml Member

No they are not nuts. To operate as a normal bussiness, i.e. pay back on investment and a normal profit it will take $8 or $9 per round. Do the math and quit crying.

Peter Falk III

13. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Club in Central Ohio that has been charging 9.00 for non members for quite awhile.

Members are somewhat less.

Probably the nicest facility in Ohio but 9.00 wont attract many shooters.

Cardinal Center a few miles away charges 4.00 per round of 25.

Regards....Gerald

14. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pete, if it is a county (government) facility it seems to me it should be non profit. Bulge

15. Joe G. NJ

Joe G. NJ TS Member

I can highly recommend a place not too far from the city. Howell Trap Club, NJ owned and operated by Gene Soloman.

The price is right and the targets are finely tuned and the people are great.
    It is open to the public, there is Tuesday afternoon shooting as well as registered shoots on Sundays.

It is a few miles off the Garden State Parkway, look it up on www.njsta.com

Give it a try.

Joe G.

16. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Peter Falk, now that you mention it, I "do the math" for a living so unless you are privy to their financials, $9 is MORE than enough for profits and anything else you can imagine. Considering that they have been there for something like 50 years and their assets are nothing to speak off, I am willing to bet that their biggest (only) expense is labor for the pullers and those kids look like they make $5 per hour (or less) so YOU do the math of 5 shooters per field paying $9 per round times a handful of fields. Forget the box of clays, every club has that expense and others charge $3. And as I mentioned before, it's one thing if the facility was top notch, but the place looks like a sh-thole.

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Labor for the pullers? I have to say no voice calls and 9 bucks a round is not a good deal.

The 3 dollar a round places are just breaking even and that's most likely with volunteer help.

With machines costing 7 thousand a pop and the state telling you how much to pay kids, and workmen's comp and all the rest of it I can see that a private place has a hell of a time making it go, especially in an area where living costs are high.

We pay 12 thousand a year for insurance, and that has to come from somewhere too.

Miramar was at 6 as long as ten years ago. That was the highest I knew at that time.

State or municipal owned facilties are likely to stab you too, since number cruncher business school types usually set the prices.

Let's just say a place can price itself out of business.

HM

18. hollywood

hollywood TS Member

It's over $10 in Austin.
    I had to quit.........

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Wow, $9/25 is about as high as I have heard but there are a few clubs on the other side of our country charging $7.50. My little club is charging $5/25 practice and we make a reasonable profit at that rate. The thing is we don't sell enough practice rounds to keep the doors open so we have registered shoots ($25 per 100) and other events as our main source of income. Hope you find a more reasonable priced place to shoot, hate to see people forced out of this sport due to high target prices.

20. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

The 10$ is for a round of 5-stand and it is not particularly well laid out. The skeet and trap pullers are tipped, so effectively a round of skeet or trap is 10 or 11 bucks, 5 stand 11 or 12 bucks depending on your tipping generosity. The place has been in business for 30 years with same ownership, so debt should be very low. The trap machines throw stuff all over the place, so I don't think capital improvements are high on the list. here is the thing that sort of bugs me. I understand that folks that run ranges need to make a living. However, with the incredibly difficult standards for environmental and local noise, opening new ranges in a reasonable distance from major meto areas is going to be about as likely as pigs flying. In a way, the existing ranges have a somewhat protected industry....I just hope they don't take advantage through unreasonable pricing. I hate to see skeet and trap go the way of so many other things and become a "rich folks" game. If that happens, the regular shooter will be priced out and the first step towards eliminating ALL gun ranges will be complete. One opinion....I am sure there are more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.