1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

9 mm loads ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mike T, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

How many time can you load a 9mm case? I know about shotgun shells, but not too good on brass.
    My load is 5g Unique with a 115g bullet

thanks
    mike t.

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

That's too slow of a powder for the 9mm (not saying it won't work) so it's definitely a low pressure loading. I would guess 12-20 times (maybe more)if you can find the brass afterwards. ;-)

9mm brass is the cheapest out there, so replacements should be easy to find. When ebay allowed such stuff, 9mm brass would be on there for $10/1000 and not even draw any bids.

3. mike T

mike T Member

I just pick a powder in the middle of the listing,from Lyman's manual 49th edition. They also say in the description that Unique is a popular and good propellant for the 9 mm. I just checked my load and it was 5.5g Unique which should be around 1200 fps with energy of about 350 to 360 ft lbs.

thanks
    mike t

4. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I don't know, but I would say you can load them nearly as many times as you can find them!!

I have just started using Alliant Power Pistol and it seems to work great. I take my load data for that from a Hornady 8th Edition manual.

Allen

5. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

As a general rule, the higher the pressure you subject your brass to, the less reloads you'll get out of them. I reload for plinking and informal target-shooting. As long as the reload is accurate and reliable, I doubt the target will know the difference if it were hit by a 1200fps or 1350fps bullet. Because of the relatively small volume of the 9mm case, pay particular attention to segregating your brass by manufacturer, particularly military brass. Unique powder is an excellent choice.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I let the factory load them one time, after that they are on the ground, I don't want to take any chances ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

I use 3.8 grains of Promo or Red Dot weight not volume as Promo differs lot to lot.Using 125gr cast lead lubed bullet with taper crimp.Load em indefinitely ,but you will lose them b4 that.

8. psfive

psfive Member

I know a guy that has a place on his own ground that he uses for target practice. When he shots he sets up a cheap tent and opens all the wondows. He says the shade is nice and a broom and a dustpan picks up all the brass when he is done. Paul in Nebraska

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have my own little shooting range on the family farm. I use the cheap Dollar Store tarps on the ground in the area where my brass lands. Sure I'll lose a few but the vast majority land on the tarps. Then I just pick up all four corners of the tarps and funnel into a five gallon bucket. Quick set up and quick tear down.

10. skeetshooter

skeetshooter TS Member

I have loaded thousands of 9MM loads on my Dillon 550 loader and had two or three case failures. (splits) Main load is 115 Gr HP bullets on Unique 5.5 grs powder with CCI Mag primer. Great load with very good accuracy..

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Case life is very good with the 9mm and also once fired brass can be found by the bucket at just about any plinking spot. What you want to watch for is loose prime pockets as the brass nears the end of its useful life. (probably 10+ loadings). Most guys don't go to the trouble of keeping their 9mm brass segregated or make an attempt to maximize the reloading life. Me included.

The unique powder you are using will work but it will leave a lot of powder residue in your gun which may lead to malfunctions. There are many other powders that will do a better job in this caliber - Titegroup and HP38 are my favorites.

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I used to try to keep track of the 9mm brass I reloaded. I had coffee cans numbered 1 to 8 and I would mark on the plastic box labels what number the brass was from. I found maybe 2% that didn't make it to the number 8 bucket. As said above, once fired 9mm brass is cheap, I sell it for $25 per 1000. sorted and cleaned.

When I shot competitive bullseye pistol with a 38 spl, I would buy brand new barss and keep it in the same box for its life. I would keep track of every reload. I always got 16 or more reloads before any started to crack at the case mouth, and seldom did 40 out 0f 50 not make it to 20 reloads. 9mm is harder on brass than the .38 spl, but they last long too. Good Luck

13. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

You can reload 9mm case's till they get to hard to re size or you start seeing hair line cracks in the case's. The brass will some time turn hard and you will feel it when your resizing.

Unique is a good powder for target shooting........ it don't have the recoil like some powder's do. If you want a real ass kicking load try working up a load with 2400 powder and hold on tight.

14. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Win. 231 is very good for 9mm. Unless you are recycling 100 empties dozens of times, I doubt you will ever wear out a case. A 44 mag will stretch a bit over time, but a taper crimped 9 will go on, and on, and on...

15. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

As mentioned you will get enlarged primer pockets or splitting at the case mouth (I think this is from the brass becoming work hardened).

I have also seen stretching near the base of the shell - even seen a separation or two here - about 1/8" above the rebate. I think there are two components to this, one is a 'high pressure' load, and second is the resizing die - one sees this much less with carbide dies than with just hardened steel.

I have shells that I know have been loaded 15 times or more. These end up in my 'junk load' box - the ones I take out into the field and don't bother picking up...

16. glenns

glenns Member

Agree with Rick in Ohio - after you clean your brass check for cracks before you reload.

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

You can get very good reloads with just about any shotgun target powder ... just look up whatever you use (based on manufacturers recommendation)for your shotgun and use that for your pistol.

You don't need special powders ... unless you are loading up magnums.

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I like 231, bullseye, clays, in that order. Never had a case go bad but I don't shoot Glocks. You will lose the cases before you wear them out unless you're trying for some +++p++++ crazy load. Unique is used a lot but I find it to be a little dirtier than 231 or HP38. I'd like to see a load for the 9x19 using 2400 that would be... anyway I don't see any point in using magnum primers either.

I find metalic reloading easier than shotgun shell reloading. Handling those little slick 9mm bullets can be troubling but nothing compared to 223's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.