1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

8's from the 24

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Browning Man, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

Well I have recently been having trouble from my new yardage and from the number 1 post (both handicap and singles), so I shot 75 targets just off of number 1 from the 24 yard line. I have been trying both reloads and new handicap shells (1 1/8 of 7 ½’s 1250fps) with no great results, I was chipping and hacking at the targets and missing mostly my angle birds. On my first box of shells I tried the reloads I have been using, the second new super handicap AA’s, with the same results as I mentioned above. On my last box I tried a box of 3 dram estates, 8 shot, I started breaking targets like I was on the 16, not on every shot but they were good breaks. So I figured that I might start trying the 8’s from the 24, or at least while its warm weather.

2. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

First of all you do not need Super Handicap shells from the 24 yard line. Second, if you have a full choke light 8's will work just fine for your yardage, at the 26 and 27 try both the light and heavy 8's and let the gun tell you what it likes.

If you have an adjustable comb add a 1/16 spacer on each post and try it again, then add another 1/16th spacer and try again, repeat until the targets break like you want them to. If you don't have an adjustable comb I would like to recomend that you have one added to your stock.

Sounds like you are trying to get it right, just keep it up. Also just for your knowledge, a couple of good friends of mine that shoot very well shoot Estate H-8's from the 27. In fact one of them is Jimmy Heller and at the California state shoot in 08 he ran 200 straight (two different events) from the 27 with H-8 Estates. Super-handicaps are to brutal of a shell for most shooters.

Tom Strunk

3. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

i found the same thing i broke targets all right with 7.5 but tried 8s and smoke i love the new shells ive been shooting kemen hdcp 8s

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Please use # 8's (especially in the winter) and please play all the options....

Curt

5. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

Very funny curt. Well thats how I got to the 24 in the first place, with Federal Top Guns, 3 dram 1 1/8 of 8's, IM briley.

6. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

try 2 3/4 light 8 or even new 1ounce 8's. you will really be suprised the results. you'll smoke a bunch of birsd and make people a believer. you really don't need the heavy stuff. motordoc

7. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Browning Man

Shooting 8's, vs. 7-1/2 from any distance between the 24 and the 27 should not make any difference whatsoever to the target. At 40 yards, the amount of retained energy of #8 shot with a muzzle velocity of 1200 feet per second is 1.04 foot pounds and a velocity of 660 feet per second. The amount of retained energy of 7-1/2 shot at the same 40 yards with a muzzle velocity of 1200 feet per second is 1.26 lbs per different, with a 675 fps velocity.
    Now there are lead distances to consider when using the 8 vs 7-1/2 size shot, but the differences are almost irrevelant, providing you are pointing your gun correctly. The plus side of 8's is there is an average of 72 pellets more than 7-1/2's in a 1-1/8 oz load. So you could say you have a 20% increase in pellet cound using 8's over 7-1/2's.

The differnce in yardage could mean a pattern difference due to your choke. With the pattern opening up more, there might be some holes in it, but you would need to do some tests at a pattern board with both shot sizes and you would need an average of 5 test for each shot size (given you are using the same dram and shot charge size). If you use different brands of shells and/or reloads that can also show differences( as you already discovered in using the Estates). If you like shooting 8's, you might continue trying different brands of shells at the longer yardage, but again, it would be worth testing at the patterning board.

An important factor in shooting longer distances is the sight picture and lead you need to use. A lot of shooters want a gun with a higher pattern placement when shooting longer distances. When I shoot from the 27, I raise my comb on my stock almost 1/4 inch. Most shooters find little difference when shooting from the 16 or any distance between up to the 24 yard line.

What may be happening in your case, when you mention you are having trouble at the number 1 post, at your new yardage is you are shooting behind the bird, those you do hit, you are catching them with a few pellets from the far side of your pattern. This is a problem of gun speed and without proper gun speed, the problem is magnified as the yardage distance increaes.

One of the best ways to develop proper gun spped is swinging the gun and keeping it going as you pull/release the trigger, and continue with your swing after the gun has fired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.