1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

89 year old lady has had the same car for 43 years

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tumbleweed, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

Her car has 540,000 miles on it and it looks brand new. We can all learn something from her and do a better job taking care of the things we have.

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I knew it had to be a Ford/Merc

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Yip Calvin, I agree. It easy for things to last when they don't make enough power to hurt themselves. Lol.

ss

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Thats ok...I know even without dogging it that the little 289 in that car could still flatten a Toyota as it went overtop...beware of Grannies in Mercs(little old lady from Pasadena)

5. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

I knew it wasn`t a GM product.

Tom R.

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

I love it when someone like this buys the "lifetime guarantee" parts, keeps meticulous records and holds the retailers feet to the fire. She has gotten 7 free midas mufflers and 16 free batteries.

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Must not live in the "rust belt" of the Midwest.

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

She lives in Florida and I'm surprised that no one commented on the handgun she keeps under the front seat.

Eric

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I had a 1964 Ford Falcon when I was 16 to 17. It was a great car for me but rust did the car in.

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Does she ever stay home??? lol

Hauxfan!

11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I had a buddy that had a car like that except his was a two door

The T was broken of Comet, so we called it the Come

Warped mind those teenagers have

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Calvin,

It's probably a 260 powering that little Comet and not a 289. I'll be sure to take it easy on you blue oval guys in the future:)

ss

13. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Ford made a 221 Cu.in.on that block design also.I think it was in the Comet.Back in 1962 or 63.When I worked as a Ford Tech then . Am I right Hauxfan ????
    Sandy.

14. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My wife had a 1964 1/2 Mustang equipped with a 260 CID V-8 2bb. The car was one of the first 10.000 Mustangs built and was originally owned by the daughter of a Ford dealer. When the Ford dealer's daughter got a new 1966 Mustang, my wife bought the 1964 1/2.

In 1964, the Ford Falcon Futura was equipped with the 260 CID V-8. The 289 came out after the 260 and was available in the 1965 and perhaps the 1964 1/2 Mustangs.

Is not the Mercury Comet Calantie (?) in the video a Ford Fairlane sized vehicle. A neighbor had a Fairlane of that era with the 221 CID V-8. I think the small Mercury of that era was called a Zypher which would compare to the Falcon.

My understanding is that the "Little Old Lady from Pasadena" drove a 413 CID Super Stock Dodge "Wedge".

We kept my wife's 1964 1/2 Mustang until 1988 when I sold it to a collector for a little more than what my wife paid for it. It was badly rusted but it had the "Ben Hur" imitation knock off hub caps which were worth about $125 each.

I had to sell the Mustand to make room in the garage for a bass boat. Also, in those days, I used to crawl around junkyards looking for parts. The 260 was a little different than the 289 and when I needed something like an exhaust manifold, I was told I had to buy the entire engine as they would not "part out" a 260. After a while, It got to be too much for an every day driven car. The little motor was in good condition with well over 100,000 miles on it but it needed leaded gas which was becoming hard to find.

The Ford 260 was also used in the British Sunbeam sports car. It was a little rocket. I think that Maxwell Smart (Get Smart!) drove one on and off of the show.

Ed Ward

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

She trusts her car and that BIG IRON to get her home. And I suspect she would use it.....

16. al391

al391 TS Member

I still own my 65 Comet Cyclone. Had that car since 1967. It's changed a little though, 12 point chage, pinto rack and pinion steering, tubbed, OH YEA, and a 782 HP 412 cubic inch aluminum clevor. That is not a spelling error. Its got a windsor style block with Cleavland style heads. I havent raced in over 10 years but plan to start up again soon. Jack

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My grandfather was still driving his 1937 Ford when he died in 2005. My son has it and it has 398,000 miles on it. Grandpa could have bought a few hundred new cars as he was far from poor but he never spent any money unless he had to

18. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Jack,

We used to do the same thing years ago, but the heads were cast as we couldn't afford aluminum ones. We refered to them as "Junkyard Bosses". If done right, like yours, they would scream. It was funny to see a "Ford Guy" scratch his head a while tring to figure out what was going on under the hood and why that little engine just smoked his FE powered Fairlane.

ss

19. maka

maka Member

I loved the auto protection system she employed. Owned a 1968 Ford Falcon Futura with a 289. Purchased it when it was 1 1/2 yrs old. Turned out it belonged to the local rural city police dept. Some car guy once told me it was a high performace 289. Only had a 2 barrel carb but really moved.

20. bud168

bud168 Member

As soon as I pulled it up I knew it was a Falcon... I have a 64 Hardtop that Ive been slowly restoring.. I have a 289/C4 sitting in it right now.. She sounds heathly :) Fun cars..

- Kurt Nelson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.