1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

88 Bronco II weird starting problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    '88 Bronco II with 2.9L V6 and auto.

Won't crank.

Had battery load tested. Good.

Starter was bad. Replaced.

Unk solenoid, but it is easily bypassed.

Battery cables are good, including ground.

Simply cannot get it to turn over. Can hear the dual clicks of the solenoid and the starter circuit kicking in, even when shorting the battery terminals on the solenoid.

It's acting like the engine is locked, but we can turn it over by hand (3/4 socket and breaker bar, without excessive effort).

At this point I'm not sure what to check. Going over the schematics.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Check to make sure full voltage is going from ignition switch to voltage regulator to the starter solenoid. If you are not getting full juice from the voltage regulator it will cause the clicks as it doesn't have enough to turn it. This can happen even with a good battery. Slight chance it could be a bad igition switch. Check negative ground cable as well.

On a side note: I had one of those Bronco II's. Does the power steering pump leak like a sieve? Never could keep a good one on mine.

3. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

It's an 88, buy a new one and help Ford to pay my pension...thanks.....

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Assuming for the moment the battery really is good, and the terminal connections good, I would take a pair of good jumper cables, hook one end each to the negative and positive battery terminal, clamp the negative load end to the starter housing or close to it, and slap the positive battery cable terminal on the bendix. Make sure the car is in neutral. This should give you a yes or no on the basic condition of the starter/bendix. If it turns over with gusto start back tracking with your positive side cable. It could be a bad cable/terminal, bad contacts in the solenoid (just because it pulls in doesn't mean current is flowing) or an internal contact situation in the starter. It's easy to have enough power to pull in the solenoid bendix but not enough to turn over the motor.

5. Brian in Oregon

It was the fender mounted solenoid.

I've never seen a solenoid on a Ford that could not be bypassed with a heavy bar or wrench across the main solenoid terminals. But I have now.

And as noted, the starter was fried. It actually started smoking on the load test machine at Schucks. It must have drawn enough current to fry the solenoid.

At least Sean in Oregon now has wheels while he's here for Christmas break.

Thanks for the suggestions.

6. Brian in Oregon

Well, spoke too soon...

Smoke coming out of the positive battery terminal when starting. Solenoid chattering like a squirrel on meth.

Having Sean pull the terminal and clean it and the post, then try again.

7. Brian in Oregon

Well, cleaning the terminals seems to have fixed that problem.

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Have ths starter checked and the solenoid checked, and or recheck for a ground side of the cirucit.

9. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Brian,

If your problem persists, you need to check your distributor. There is an electronic module that mounts to the distributor and that can either go completely out or it will be intermittent. It's kind of hard to get to it as the distributor is mounted to the back of the engine block. Just climb up in the compartment and reach back there to unbolt it. Here's a picture.

Kevin
    bucko43_2008_010884.jpg

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The first problem I seen was 88 Bronco II. These where about as reliable as the Aries K car, from what I recall. I may be wrong. Jon

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I always dreaded working on them. Pure junk and they drive like goats nightmare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bronco 2 not starting