1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870tc barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leadshot, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadshot

leadshot Member

can anyone tell me what after market chokes to use to to get mod choke in this overbored barrel thanks

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

A regular skeet Remchoke should be very close.....it measures about .723 or .005/.006 in a regular barrel that mikes .727-.728..so that puts it at around .722....in a .745 barrel it would give you about .13 and mod is generally considered .15pts...hope that helps, I've used a regular Rem-IC in a factory big bore and it worked awesome

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Huh?????????

Wayne

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The big bore Remington TC choke tube barrels have a .018" step in them before the choke section. This must be figured in when setting up a choke with the proper restriction. So you have .018 to start with and then a typical SK choke will be .005. The resulting constriction is .023 which would be between M (.020") and IM (.025").

ss

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Yup..the skeet remchoke would probably do just what you want

6. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Because the barrel constriction is a little ways before the choke constriction (about 3/4 inch), it does not have the cumulative effect one might imagine.

I used an IM (carlson's), it gave better averages at 16 yds than all other sizes tried. The factory supplied rem-chokes (full, trap full), worked poorly in this step-bore barrel, but worked well in a std. bore 1187.

7. leadshot

leadshot Member

thanks for the help...this 870tc overbored barrel was new to me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.