1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870TB wingmaster barrel questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bonzai272, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Curious what kind of barrels the 870TB and TC wingmasters came with back in the day. Im looking at an 870TB with a 30" fixed modified barrel. The barrel is stamped with "MOD" but does not say "TRAP" anywhere. For some reason, I thought they all came with fixed full chokes but I guess I was wrong. However, from what Ive read, shouldnt the barrel also have the word "TRAP" instead of just saying "MOD". I was thinking it would say "MODIFIED TRAP" or "MOD TRAP". Thanks guys.

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Possibility that it's NOT the bbl. it left the factory with, personally have never seen a 30" mod. except on TBs& TCs and they WERE marked Mod. TRAP. Hopefully Senior Smoke will chime in on this as he has a lot more knowledge with 870s than I do. Ross Puls

edit-- Also I've only seen 2 such guns both were purchased NIB both shot very well.

3. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Yeah thats what I thought too. Ive only heard of the 30" fixed mod barrels being marked as "MOD TRAP"...not just saying MOD without the word TRAP after it. Weird.

4. rondl

rondl Member

I bought a new 870 TB sometime around 1967. It came with a 30" full choke barrel maked Full. Nothing else. Still have the gun and it is in great shape and has very nice wood.

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Both my TB and TC modified trap barrels are labeled "mod trap". My TB full just says "full".

6. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

So the general consensus so far is that full barrels just say FULL, while the mod barrels say MOD TRAP. Hmmmm...maybe this barrel is from a different sub-model then.

7. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

I usually look for a mid-bead on a Remington target barrel when in doubt. My modified barrels were stamped Modif. Trap.

8. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Yep, this one has a brass mid bead.

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My 870 TC modified 30" trap barrel that I bought NIB from Remington in 1980 has a standard rib, mid bead and is only marked "mod". Except for the choke, it is identical to the full 30" barrel that came with a then new 870 TA trap I bought new in 1980.

Both the 30" modified trap barrel and the 30" full trap barrels are great barrels.

Ed Ward

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I bought a NIB 870 barrel off eBay a couple of years ago. The Remington box label indicates 870 TB, 30", and Mod Trap. The barrel inside has the brass mid bead, white bradley front bead, is 30" and marked MOD TRAP. It's brand new - unfired. Have not measured the bore or choke. Regards, Ed

11. rustygun

rustygun Member

I bought a TC in the early 70's from a friend (who I am sure never changed the barrel),had a barrel marked IMP MOD was a great shooter even in games.

12. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I use to be an 870 collector. Years ago, they did say mod trap on TB's and TC's. These barrels were a bit tighter in constriction than a field grade mod barrel. The mod trap barrels were excellent barrels, and are considered a collectors item.

At that time, they were harder to sell, compared to a standard full choke barrel. I shoot a 28inch mod trap barrel, which is also rare, but it really smokes targets.

In your case, I am willing to bet that your gun was made later than you think, and or someone switched the barrel. Regardless, a 30" mod barrel is rare. The two best barrels I ever had was a imp mod trap barrel, very rare, as only a few were made, and a 34inch trap barrel which are smoke poles.

Steve Balistreri

13. 6chuter

6chuter Member

I've got a 870TB with a 28 full with the matching serial number of the receiver also stamped on the barrel. The barrel is just stamped full.

14. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Well I bought it today. Confirmed the barrel is a 30" fixed modified with a brass mid bead and white front bead. According to the stamp, the barrel was made in 1985. It does NOT say "trap" anywhere on the barrel. All it says is "mod". Im going to call Remington tomorrow to see what year the receiver was made. So far, happy with purchase. Nice wood in decent shape, normal handling marks but nothing serious, monte carlo stock. Receiver bluing is all worn off on the bottom from handling near loading gate but no rust or pitting. I like the character it gives.

15. RayReys

RayReys Member

Good buy buddy ;)Let's see how she shoots come the 2nd

16. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

@RayReys - do I know you? =)

So I called Remington. The receiver is from 1977 and originally came with a 30" fixed full barrel. Obviously someone swapped in a 1985-year 30" fixed mod barrel somewhere along the lines. Anyway, gun is sweet. Chrome carrier version. My first gun thats actually older than I am!

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

There is a difference in between the TC and TB barrels on the older models, 60's and 70's. They took more care with the choking of the TC barrels back then. The TB barrels were more "production line". You can tell the difference by looking at both sides of the barrel near where it meets the receiver. The TC barrels didn't have all the "production marks" found on the TB barrels.

This is not to say that you can't get a good pattern out of the TB barrels but the TC barrels were surefire performers.

Back in the day guys would buy a TB and a TC and switch the barrels then sell the gun with the TC receiver and the TB barrel for a TC price. Beware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
870 wingmaster tb
870tb wingmaster
diffrence between remington std 870 wingmaster and the lw wingmaster

how do i tell age of a 870tb wingmaster trap gun

load remington wingmaster 870tc
what barrel for a 870tb
wingmaster 870 tb with mod barrel
wingmaster tb trap gun