1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 with a RAD1a?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mark Stacklin, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Stacklin

Mark Stacklin Member

I am thinking of installing a RAD1a on my 870 express field stock. Is there any reason why I can not? And is there anybody that has done this to there 870 themselves. I have been doing custom woodworking for 16 years so I have all the tools to do the stock work I just want to make sure it will fit before I make the purchase.

2. Mark Stacklin

Mark Stacklin Member

3. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Would TRON know??

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It depends on what LOP you require. The unit requires 4" of depth and the factory stock bolt should be about 4 1/4" deep. You could go with a very thin pad to make up for some of the units added length and you could possibly counter sink the stocks bolt hole a bit and shorten the stock bolt, but I wouldn't go too much deeper. So, I guess it all depends.

5. stockguy

stockguy Member

Mark,

Yes, there is room for a RAD 1a in the 870 stock if you don't have an adjustable comb - and if you don't require a really short LOP. However, it won't be the easiest installation to do. You'll have to bore the stock bolt hole deeper and replace the stock bolt with a shorter one to have clearance for the boring you'll need to do to install the RAD. Then you'll have to do really critical boring (up to 4" deep) inside the stock for RAD clearance. The 870 stocks are quite thin making all this boring very difficult to do if you don't have a good boring process (meaning it's easy to bore thru the side of your stock). Then you'll need the capability to grind the aluminum on the system to the perifery and contours of the stock.

I have installed many hundreds of RAD Systems before retiring and I never considered the installation to be a do-it-yourself project. I don't mean to question your capability as a woodworker so please don't be offended. Just trying to make you aware of what you're considering undertaking. There are several good recoil reduction systems out there and most of them can be installed on the 870 (they will change the gun's balance somewhat) and you can't go wrong if your choice is a RAD System. Before undertaking the project, though, you might check out a couple of professional RAD installers such as Rod Stumbo, Tom Larkin, or Keith Heeg and see if their installation prices wouldn't be worth the piece of mind of having it professionally installed.

Best of luck, Greg Hissem - retired "Stockguy"

6. Mark Stacklin

Mark Stacklin Member

Thanks for the info guys. I will check with Rod next time I see him at his home town club and see what he thinks.

7. Mark Stacklin

Mark Stacklin Member

I have been looking at the gracoil also. I already made my comb adjustable and the gracoil looks to be better suited for an adjustable comb. Plus the gracoil will cost me less. Seems like the way to go. Thanks again for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

870 with rad installed