1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Wingmaster foreend removal

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hardage, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

I need to get the foreend (spelling?) off of a old 12 gauge wingmaster. It looks like there is a threaded nut just inside the front end of the wood that has slots at 180 degrees apart from each other. Please don't tell me that I need some special tool. I know you will though...thanks in advance for making me suffer.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The tool is about $20 to do it right. I've seen it done with a screwdriver and a hammer but the guy ruined the forearm in the process. Do what you want, but I'd buy the tool.

ss

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hardage:
    Most newer shooters think you need a spanner wrench to take that nut off. Yes I have one, but truth be told in the early days of the 870 this is how the old timers took that nut off including myself.

Take the barrel off the gun, take the action bar and the forend out of the gun. Take the bolt off the action bar, and the plate that the bolt sits on is what you can use to take that nut off the forend. Take the plate and turn it upside down while sitting it on the tubs. Then take a big plyers and attach it to the plate and turn it while you have the forend in a vice or you can try and hold the forend with your other hand. It is easier placing the forend in a vice. Make sure you don't mare up the wood. The nut should loosen up and then you can take the nut off by hand.

PM me if you have problems, as there is one more way you can take that nut off.
    Steve

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Years ago, I took a 6" section of thin 3/4" outside diameter aluminum tent pole and hammered it flat. I then measured the distance between the two slots in the large threaded nut that holds on the 870 front wood. I then cut the hammered aluminum tent pole (improvised bar stock)to the measured distance between the two slots in the nut.

Holding the section of hammered tent pole in a small vice grip, i am able to tighten and remove the nut that holds on the 870 font end wood. It is not a work of art but it works.

Ed Ward

5. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I took a piece of copper tubing and a hacksaw and made a tool for mine.Conduit should work.PJ

6. hillestadj

hillestadj TS Member

Take a pair of needle nose pliers and open them until they are wide enough to get in both grooves and start unscrewing it. Just be gentle about it and you're good to go........or buy the spanner.

7. 338reddog

338reddog Member

I used a socket and brazed a piece of steel in place, trimmed to fit. Now I have a dedicated tool and no 870.

Jeff

8. Danny870

Danny870 Member

1"x6" copper pipe and a hacksaw makes a nice spaner wrench

9. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

Thanks for the tips. I have a shooting buddy who is a retired (young retired) machinist and he has a basement full of his tools/machines. I have something he wants (minds out of the gutter please) and now he can make something I want. I figured I needed something more elegant than loud cursing and the screwdriver I had in my hand but wimped out.

10. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I use a wood drill bit!

I think 1 1/4" but its been a while. Works great, needle nose work too.

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.