1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Wingmaster experts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FLAKETM, May 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

My less than two-year-old Classic Trap won't cock the trigger. The trigger assembly is fine. I can cock the assembly with my thumb. What generally would be the culprit here? Thanks for any help.
    Flake

2. 333t

333t Member

Did this problem start after the gun was taken apart or while shooting? Does the hammer cock positively every time you do it by hand? Check to make sure the slide and bolt are seated on the action bars properly.

Phil

3. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

the problem started before I took the gun apart. The trigger assembly seems free of any trash.I can't figure it out. The slide and bolt were seated properly when I disassembled.

4. 870

870 Well-Known Member

See if there are any broken parts around the back pin (bushing?) in the trigger assembly. All I can think of is something broke that gets moved slightly causing the sear to fail to engage when in the gun, but when you push hammer back manually it just happens to line up?

5. Caps9903

Caps9903 TS Member

It could be the hammer itself. Just because you can set the trigger by hand, does not mean the slide assembly is catching the hammer on the way back. Look for a grove in the slide assembly. I would also check the hammer pin.

Chad

6. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Thanks folks. I,m borrowing a trigger assembly this weekend to narrow down the problem. The hammer on mine seems to be fine.

7. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Thanks folks. I,m borrowing a trigger assembly this weekend to narrow down the problem. The hammer on mine seems to be fine.

8. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

A real mystery to me. Found out by accident: The trigger will fire if you loosen the magazine cap about a quarter of a turn. Tighten it and the trigger only squeezes. Tried it with another trigger group, another barrel, another mag cap. Same result. Really don't want to shoot it with a loosened cap.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

See if the slide lock in the trigger plate assy' extends when the slide is pushed forward when the mag cap is tight.

If it does not, gun is not locked and will not fire. Look for something keeping the gun from locking all the way. If another barrel and mag cap does not cure problem, look at bolt and extractor, action slide, and locking block. If not sure, remove barrel, gently close action and see if hammer will fall.

If so, assemble arm with out breech bolt and see if hammer falls. If it does, problem is with breech bolt or locking block.

Make sure the slide lock is not interfering with the trigger disconnector. Incorrect assembly can cause this problem.

I prefer to install the trigger assy' with the action slide out of the gun.

10. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Thanks so much, shooting coach.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    From Jerry Kuhnhausen's 870/1100/11-87 book:

Problem: Hammer does not cock, follows through or erratic sear/hammer release.

Trigger plate assembly dirt impacted

Sear's hammer engagement notch altered or damaged

Hammer sear engagement notch altered or damaged

Wrong sear and/or trigger pivot pins installed

Pivot pin holes in trigger plate altered, englargened, damaged corroded

Altered, damaged, or wrong sear spring

12. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Brian, thanks for your input but the problem has nothing to do with trigger assembly. I tried different trigger assemblies and problem wasn't cured. Shooting Coach is right on point. I followed his instructions to the letter. So, the problem must be with breech bolt or locking block. My problem is that I can't eyeball either bolt or block and see what's wrong with them.

13. Rusty12

Rusty12 Member

Make sure the locking nut holding the fore arm on the slide is tight. When it loosens you can't lock the action all the way forward in to battery. Happened to me once with a covey of mountain quail flying in all directions. Crikes!

14. 333t

333t Member

Flake:

You mentioned this gun is two years old. Have you used it all that time and this problem just started? Have any modifications been made to the gun, or parts or barrel substituted? Is the barrel seating all the way in the receiver so the back of the rib touches the receiver? Has someone tried to put on a Competition Trap forend and action bars? This is a real mystery as 870's are pretty simple guns. I have had many of them for years and never experienced the problem you are having.

Phil

15. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Thanks, Rusty, I'll check.
    Phil, I bought the gun three months ago from a gun store. Have shot, maybe, three flats with it and no problem until a week ago. HOWEVER, two weeks ago, I shot a box of Noble ammo and my gun didn't want to shuck the shells. I had to work to get the gun shucked. A week later, my problem started. No modifications of any kind to the gun. I also owned two Wingmaster hunting guns over the past 50 years. Never a problem. Sure appreciate all the help from you guys.

16. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

How about a loose forearm nut?

17. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

Remove the extractor and test. It is possible the extractor was damaged when shooting the Noble that were difficult to eject, preventing bolt from fully closing, until given a little extra room by loosening the mag cap. pg

18. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

RUSTY - loose nut. I tightened it with my fingers. WORKS. What kind of tool do you use to tighten it a bit more?
    THANKS EVERYBODY

19. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I think Senior Smoke had a post on how to make a tool for for that. Maybe Average Ed. I know that one of the Guys here posted it. There is a lot of knowledge here.

If it was not him I am sure someone else knows how to get you to the device.

Kenny U

20. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Get a fender washer and grind it to fit in the forend. Tighten by holding the forend, not the action slide. The wrench is pricey to buy.

This is a cheap fix. Nut should have been pretty tight from the factory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.