1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 vs. Mdl 12 Y

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hard Cash, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hard Cash

Hard Cash TS Member

Are there any Pros & Cons between the two pump guns for my first trap gun?

2. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

O.K., let me start this fur fight. I say both are excellent pump guns but IMO
    I would go with the 870 simply based on the fact it is still in production & service/parts are factory available. JMO, - I wouldn't feel too bad with either one though. Colonel

3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Ill agree with Klink, although a nice Mod 12 is a good addition to any shooters collection.

Also, if you decide to take it hunting or shoot Skeet, barrels are available.

Versatility is much better.

Regards....Gerald

4. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I have both. The gun itself does not matter. If it fits and you shoot it well, there is no reason you need anything else unless you want to be a better doubles shooter. I have a 870 that is ugly but I can shoot. I bought a like new TC with tubes and shot an a dismal 85.

As noted, the 870 will have parts available more readily.

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The 870 was always a Model 12 wannabe!!

6. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I am a mod 12 lover but when I was young we had a 16 yr old kid(left handed) shoot an 870 field mod and 25s were a piece of cake---Shame---He died young---
    I always think of him when I see an 870---I'll tell you a story---

His father and I were out duck hunting one day---I left the father on one creek and I took the boat up another---Well when I went to start the motor it wouldn't start and it took me hrs to get it going---Luck was with us---The motor started and I got to him---When he got into the boat I asked him how he was---He said OK but I knew I was in trouble when the water was up to me tits.
    He said you never leave the boat----Thanks for listening---George@SJB---

7. fishguts

fishguts Member

My opinion, only my opinion, is that the M12 is more comfortable to shoot, better fit and less felt recoil. Last nite I looked a real nice '70's TC, great wood,..but man was it barrel heavy.

Wayne

8. FIB

FIB Member

My opinion is that the M12/M31 are the two best built pump shotguns. The 870 is the best engineered.

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

First of all, I need to say that at one time I was a 870 collector. For the money, reliabilty, parts availablity, you can't beat them. Now I have owned some model 12 traps, pre 64 and Y models, as well as a few remington 31 tc's, and a tb. The 31 was the best schucker, short stroke, and smoked targets with the best of them. One weak point on the 31 was the action bar. If you were going to shoot lots of targets best advice, get an extra action bar. Now the model 12 is a very very special gun in my opinion. If you find a model 12 that fits you and shoots were you are looking you will have a great gun for life. Great workmanship, plain and simply stated, the model 12 has the best feeling of any trap gun I have ever put in my hands & to my shoulder. With all this being said, for trap, I would take the model 12. If I was in a war zone and could only protect my life with a shotgun, I would take the 870. The model 12 has the history that no other gun has. When I think of the ATA Grand American in Ohio, two things always cross my mind, the Model 12, & Arnold Rieger. All Great Guns, but the model 12 will always be special to me and millions of other shooters.
    Steve Balistreri

10. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

My vote goes to the mod 12. No comparison!! There is no problem with parts. You won't need any. Back in 1975, I bought a new 870 trap gun for my son to use. He complained how much it kicked so I shot it a few times. He was right! I then promptly sold it and bought him a mod 12. Larry Evans

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

So why do Model 12s kick less than 870s? It seems that way to me, but I can't figure why.

12. FIB

FIB Member

My older (seasoned) retired gunsmith buddy that I greatly respected told me what some of you have already stated. The 31's weak point was the action bar. The M12 had some firing pin issues. The 870 while not beautifully machined or fitted as the M12 or M31 was a better engineered shotgun. If I were going to be dropped off in AK for a year and needed a shotgun that I could literally depend my life on it wouldn't be a M12 or M31. Give me an 870. Regards, Randy

13. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Shooting a release is easier in the 870, can reset the release by just hitting the button but on the Mdl 12 yu have to open the action and if it is tight gun you got a problem. At least in my situation the 870 wins hands down.

14. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have a release in my 2 pin mod 12 and it is perfect---Don't know what you mean---SJB---

15. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

This post is a no brainer buy the first one you shoot well It does not matter if you are on this sight you will have both guns over time anyway it is the trap shooters curse. Both are great and affordable keep one for a back up most shooters on this sight have at least 5 back up guns it is only a guess but thats what I feel is true.

16. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

I put a couple hundred thousand rounds through a Model 12. I broke 1 left hand extractor and 1 fring pin. It never failed to finish an event. I shot some doubles with it until I got lazy.
    Sonny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.