1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 vs. 870 Comp trigger group

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bill4807, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bill4807

bill4807 Member

Trying to install a Timney sear in my 870 Comp; instructions say "Sear pin should be accessible from both sides." Well, it's not. The pin hole is blind on one side. and staked in place.

FWIW: Both sear and hammer are stamped with a "T".

I'm going to look in the safe for an 870 to compare (and maybe swap) trigger groups, in the mean time, has anyone else seen this?

Thanks,

Bill

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've only done the Timney sear conversion on one 870 trigger - it was one of the new Super Slug 870s - and it was open on both sides.

Stu Wright told me that Allen Timney had at least three different trigger housings for 870s - could yours be one of his? That "T" business has me wondering. If you don't see a lot of difference in the sear edges on the two sears, you might already have a Timney sear.

As far as differences between 870 and 870 Competition triggers, I can take a Timney release out of a TC and it works great in my Comps and the two factory trigger assemblies look the same, so I don't think there is any.

Ed

3. pistolhunter2

pistolhunter2 TS Member

I worked for Rem. for 28 yrs. 25 of them building fire controls for 870&1100. I built 90% of fire controls for the 870 comp. look onthe left side of the trigger plate by the trigger pin hole there should be a S stamped there if it is one of mine, to remove the sear remove the carrier behind the carrier dog plunger hole you will see the sear pin hole use a small punch to drive it out.The reason for the T stamped on the sear & hammer is they were special cut notches for thf comp. guns the sears were nickel plated and the sear springs are yellow. I hpe this helps you . GARY

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Great info! Thanks, Gary.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.