1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 vs 1100 Recoil

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Darth Vader, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader TS Member

Question for recoil experts- Would a ten pound 870 trap gun have about the same recoil as a eight pound 1100 trap gun? Does anyone have any statistics on recoil figures on these two trap guns and how they compare? I like 870 simplicity. Thanks for any information you might have. James Carpenter

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have a 9# 870 (weight in stock and the heavier step rib over bored barrel) and an 1100 TB that is around 8 3/4#. With one oz. loads, the 870 has little felt recoil and the 1100 even less.

With 3 dram 1 1/8 oz loads, the 870 has definite but pleasant felt recoil while the 1100 is still very low on felt recoil.

A week ago at the Kentucky State Shoot, I shot a very nice Model 12 25 times with 1 1/8 oz light 8's after shooting 100 rounds of light 8's in my 1100. The Model 12 (which I don't think fit me well) had very noticable felt recoil. I would not want to shoot this Model 12 without adding a mercury recoil reducer to the stock.

If you are recoil sensitive, go with the 1100. Once you get used to cleaning one, the 1100 is not a complicated shotgun. Just clean it after every match and use pipe cleaner dipped in Hoppes #9 to keep the gas jets open. Follow the instruction manual for assembly of the gas rings and O-ring.

Ed Ward

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

For an 1-1/8oz, 1250fps load:

- 8 pound gun, 21.76ft.lbs

- 10 pound gun, 17.41ft.lbs

(edit. corrected numbers)

I have a recoil calculator on an Excel spreadsheet if anybody wants it, PM or mail me.

Bob

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Uh, Bob, aren't those numbers turned around? Shouldn't the 9 lb gun have 21.74 ft-lbs of recoil and the 10 lb gun have 17.41 ft lbs?<br>
    <br>
    But, simply comparing gun weights and their calculated recoil is not the whole picture.<br>
    <br>
    All gas automatics have the same exact recoil as any other gun with the same weight. Math is math. However, it is the FELT RECOIL, what you actually feel hitting your shoulder, where the big difference is.<br>
    <br>
    With the 870, you get a sharp rap to your shoulder. It looks like a mountain.<br>
    <br>
    With a gas-automatic, some gas is tapped off the gun, and is converted into stored energy. In an 1100 or 1187, this energy is stored in the action sleeve (the hollow cylinder that goes around the mag tube), the action bars, and the bolt. Instead of a sharp mountain peak, you get a broad rounded hill. As the action operates, the stored energy is released. You then have a second, even smaller, hill. So instead of getting a sharp rap to your shoulder, you get a gentle push, because the two low hills have shorter peaks but together last longer.<br>
    <br>
    So... can you add weight to an 870 to make it as comfortable as an 1100? Yes, but it's going to have to be quite a bit of weight. Most factory 870's are already between one to two lbs lighter than an 1100, depending on what particular versions are compared. Then you have to keep adding weight. From the guns I've shot, I didn't really feel as much comfort with an 870 as an 1100 until the 870 had at least four lbs more weught over the 1100, and remember, they're often roughly 1.5 lbs lighter to begin with. That's just too much weight for me, and more than justifies cleaning the gas system.

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

<i>Uh, Bob, aren't those numbers turned around? Shouldn't the 9 lb gun have 21.74 ft-lbs of recoil and the 10 lb gun have 17.41 ft lbs? ...</i>

Uhhhh ... yup.

Corrected.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
870 trap vs 1100 trap

recoil of 870 vs 1100

remington 870 vs 1100 recoil
remington recoil 870 vs 1100