1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 trigger-HELP

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by REDD04, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

What can be done to improve the 870 trigger? Here is the problem. I shoot a Browning XT as my primary gun-good trigger and fairly fast lock time. BUT my 870 trap, you have to pull the trigger MUCH HARDER, MUCH FURTHER, and also deal with a MUCH SLOWER lock time. This kills my timing.

I have a few questions.

1: Can the factory trigger be worked on to make it comparable to the XT trigger?

2: If the answer to #1 is NO, will a Timney trigger be comparable to the XT as far as pull weight, pull distance, and lock time?

3: Any other suggestions?

I really like the 870 and use one as my primary hunting gun, but I am having problems switching out between the XT & 870 on the trap range.

Thanks in advance,
    REDD04

2. ismah

ismah Member

I replaced the trigger spring in my 870 classic trap. It brought the pull down to about 4 pounds and it was a big improvement to me. You should probably contact a gusmith that specializes in trap shooting. I've had great experience with Phillips Gunsmithing. Give him a call: 210 313-5988 or e-mail at, info@phillipsgunsmighing.com. He's serviced a couple of my trap guns and did an excellent job.
    Bill B.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

You can get the reduced sear spring for your trap gun.

This may reduce the level of safety that was built into the gun. Use at your own risk.

Remington # F91771.

4. blooper

blooper TS Member

a bushing can be made to reduce the creep, and the spring tailored to get the pull down to compare to your XT

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Brownell's sells an 870 trigger uprgrade kit. I don't know if it will turn your trigger into something approaching a Timney Speedlock but someone one here might know.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The 870 trigger is very easy to work on. You need to find someone who can do the job. One alternative is to buy an after market trigger that is adjustable. HMB

7. pw1

pw1 TS Member

Contact Skeets gun shop in Tahlequah, Oklahoma. They did a 870 trigger for me and it is great. They have done triggers for years. Sorry I don't know they phone number but it's listed. They know trapshooting!
    Paul

8. gunsmith19

gunsmith19 TS Member

REDDO4,I DO CUSTOM TRIGGER JOBS ON 870,1100,11-87 AND A LOT OF OTHER SHOTGUN AND RIFLES,SOME FOR PEOPLE ON THIS SITE, THE COST FOR A TRIGGER JOB ON YOUR 870 IS $50 PLUS RETURN SHIPPING AND INSURANCE,TURN AROUND TIME IS 2-3 DAYS,ALL WORK IS GUARANTEED,THANKS,DAVE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.