1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Trigger Fix fm Timney Mfg

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Classic Trap, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classic Trap

Classic Trap TS Member

For your info: Timney Mfg has a product called the 870 Trigger Fix. IT WILL ALSO WORK IN 1100/1187. The kit is reviewed in the latest issue of the American Rifleman under Product Previews pg 33. I called them today and asked specifically if the install would in an 1100/1187 and they said yes. It is not a replacement trigger. You can also find the product on www.timneytriggers.com
    Thought I would pass this along for all the old grey-backs still shooting 870, 1100, 1187s. If you don't have an old Alan Timney or can't find one this will help.

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Timney Triggers is sending me one of those kits to install in the 870 Super Slug I will be doing a review on for Shotgun Sports Magazine. I was about to have the trigger worked on by a gunsmith when I spotted their ad in American Rifleman.

Ed

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Gratis, Ed?

4. AveragEd

I don't know, to tell the truth. I sent them an email as soon as I saw the article on it and told them what I wanted it for; they replied that a kit was one the way to me. Sometimes companies want stuff like that back, sometimes they don't. If they do and I liked the product, I buy it.

Ed

5. mike b.

mike b. Member

More info available at above website.

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Ed. I was tuggin on your chain. But let us know what the story is.

7. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I saw that ad in AR also.
    As the owner of WAY too many 870 traps I will be paitently waiting for ED's report in Shotgun Sports!
    I always enjoy your back page articles Ed.

8. AveragEd

My kit arrived yesterday and I can tell you that the sear included in it has been subjected to a lot of machining at several different angles and then drilled and tapped for an adjstment screw. I don't know if that makes it worth the money or not but if it makes the trigger in my 870 Super Slug, a shotgun that will be shot like a rifle, feel like a rifle trigger and tighten my 100-yard groups accordingly, I'll consider it priced fairly.

I'll install the kit soon and as soon as the weather here breaks, Jason and I will be at a shooting bench with our trusty chronograph and see how the gun shoots.

Ed

9. AveragEd

I installed the replacement sear and spring today. The instructions, which can be downloaded from Timney's website, appear to be intimidating at first as they consist of nine 8-1/2x11" pages but after you look through them, the task appears a lot less challenging. The excellent photographs they contain occupy 90% of those nine pages.

The job took about 10 minutes from pushing out the trigger group pins to sliding them back in. Before I started, I checked the gun's trigger pull, which averaged 5 pounds, 5.5 ounces with a lot of creep and travel. When it comes to installing the replacement pull weight spring, you have a choice of red (4 lbs.), white (3 lbs.) or blue (2 lbs.). I went with the white one as I prefer the triggers on my rifles that will be used in cold weather to break right around three pounds. The 870 trigger now breaks at a ten-try average of 3 pounds, 0.3 ounces with a LOT less creep. I didn't even touch the adjustment screw.

If you follow the instructions, you will not be treated to any flying springs or parts that you don't know how to reinstall. The finished trigger isn't benchrest rifle quality but it's at least as nice as that of many hunting rifles. For a pump-action shotgun, it's impressive.

Ed

10. AveragEd

Well, I did try the spring-only deal as the difference in the shape of the Timney sear's mating surface is very apparent and I wanted to see how important it was to the overall improvement. Using just a Timney spring resulted in a lower pull weight but the creep was amplified because of the lower spring tension. The lighter the trigger pull, the worse the creep felt. Just changing springs or even cutting coils from the original spring will actually make the trigger feel even worse.

The only alternative to a kit like this is having a gunsmith stone the sear and replace the spring. That may or may not cost a little less, depending upon the gunsmith, but it sure will take longer.

I'm not here to sell Timney's kits - I'm just reporting on the one I put in my slug gun. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to buy one.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.