1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Triger Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kalina, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kalina

Kalina TS Member

I am thinking about upgrading the factory trigger on my Rem 870. If any one has any advise on good afftermarket replacments or upgrades for the origanal I would appreciate the help. The gun is used primaraly for trap and slug hunting so a slightly lighter pull would be nice.

Luke

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Consider just purchasing a different trigger spring with a lighter pull, rather than a whole different trigger. With that being said, Timney triggers that I have had are good in my opinion.
    Steve Balistreri

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Ditto what Senior Smoke said 870 triggers are very user friendly. Ross Puls

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The Remington trigger that came with the gun is a very good trigger and easy to work on. The trigger coil spring can be changed to get a lighter pull. Then the hammer notch and sear can be cleaned up with a fine stone to get a smooth pull. And last but not least the depth of the hammer notch can be reduced with a stone in order to get rid of any trigger creep. The only problem is finding a gunsmith who knows how to do these operations. HMB

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Someone came out with a new trigger kit for the 870s.

I think it was timmney? The kit took out the creep and changed the spring for lighter pull, I think it was 150 bucks.

Somebody will pipe in a and tell you what I am talking about.

Nick

6. bill4807

bill4807 Member

Timney makes a replacement sear kit. The kit includes three springs of different pull weights and the sear is also adjustable. Kit is $90 and is available from both Timney and Midway. Installation is pretty easy, did it myself on my 870 Comp.

7. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Well there you have it, thanks Bill.

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

You can just pull the trigger out of the gun and cut a coil or two off of the hammer spring and lighten the trigger. Don't go over board with it. Just clip a little at a time and try it each time you clip. You will feel it getting lighter.

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Years ago I won a 870 in a raffle. It had a terrible,"lawyer proof" trigger ... felt like it was 15 pounds.

Since Timney lived 5 miles away ... it took it to him.

He asked if I knew how to take the trigger group out and replace springs, I said "Of course I do."

He said "YOU GOT $3?"

I said yes and he said "I'll be right back."

He came back with a little plastic bag with 10 different springs in it, and said "Replace the trigger return spring with the one that feels good to you."

Problem solved!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.