1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 10bruce, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 10bruce

10bruce TS Member

I am looking at an older 870 trap in a pawn shop......I suspect the gun has been shot alot.......Can any of you 870 guys give me some pointers on what to check to make sure its not completly wore out......The wood is really nice on it... I think 400.00 cash will walk it out the door......Thanks Bruce

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Lets narrow a couple of things down as far as older, does it have 870 Wingmaster TB or TC on the left side of the receiver? What is the serial#? What markings does the barrel have on it? Does it have the original recoil pad?
    I sold a nice 1971 TB a couple of years ago for $400. Need to find out what year it is, and which trap version, barrel, etc. it is. It could be a good buy, or a field gun that somebody put a MC stock on it. Wayne

3. 10bruce

10bruce TS Member

A little more information serial# 1143276v....Right under wingmaster on the left side of reciever it says TB..... It has a 30" Ribbed barrel full....

4. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

I think algebra1's tc would be a lot better deal. I think $400 is a little high for a well used tb.

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

i am a 870 collector. the barrel from the 50's and 60's had taper ribs. the chokes were also longer. these barrels shot a shade higher than the barrels made from 1970 on. first thing i do is place a dime on top of the barrel. if it falls through, forget it, the barrel has been opened up. the gun in the pawn shop is about $50.00 to 60.00 to high. if it has great wood, buy it. tb wood from the 70's usually was pretty good. the wood i collect on old tb's is called "orange crate wood" it had a tremendous amount of grain, feathering, with a matching forend. the wood actually had an orange tint to it. see if the owner will go down a bit. open up the action and you should be able to see what looks like a spring, that kicks the shell out of the gun. some of these old guns, that spring is missing and it cost about $75.00 to $100.00 to fix by most gun smiths.
    any other questions, pm me.
    steve balistreri

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

senior smoke,

I have a very beautiful 870 trap that a dime has no problems falling through. The barrel is 100% original and nearly .037" restriction. This gun is from the early 70's.

Those oldschool M-12 tricks only work on M-12's as I've never seen a factory big bore M-12. Remington, on the other hand, has been doing this off and on since the M-31 days.

ss

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

shortshucker:
    I believe what your are saying. i have only seen a 1950, 60, or 70,"factory 870 trap barrel" with less than .040 constriction. 9 out of 10 barrels that i have gotten out of the box are usually .042. now the previous owner of boxhorn gun club use to be the #1 seller of remingtons in the 1970's in the usa. he would let me look through his new barrels when i wanted to purchase a new gun. one time, and the only time, i found a 870 barrel with a bore of 740 and a dime fell though the barrel. we spoke to the specialty shop at remington and the man said that there must have been some type of problem that they had to take out extra metal. he said they strive to make all their barrels .042. if you indeed have one that is .037, that's ideal. you can use that choke from 16yd all the way to 27 yds. years ago the top shots would have the barrels opened up anywhere from .037 to 0.39.
    sounds like you have a nice barrel. if you ever see a 870 trap barrel marked trap MOD OR trap IMP MOD, BUY IT, THEY ARE COLLECTOR ITEMS AND ARE ABSOLUTE SMOKE POLES FOR 16 YD SHOOTING. one of the best barrels remington ever made was when they went to the long forend 870 in the 80's. they made a first batch of barrels that were very thick at the front end. they did this before they got to start putting choke tubes in them. these barrels are also smoke poles, they have a larger bore, and a dime will fall through the barrel. as i said, if i am purchasing a 870 trap barrel made from 1950 to 1979, i don't want a dime to fall through the barrel. you obviously lucked out.
    good shooting,
    steve balistreri

8. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Bruce; is the gun worth $400? Well only if someone pays that much for it. A brand new Wingmaster with rem-chokes is around $600-650. A like new Wingmaster Trap can be had for under $800. I have purchased 2 870 Wingmasters over the past year, a 1951 TC for $325 and a 1971 field grade for $260. The TC has a ribbed barrel and the field has a smooth barrel. I can't say that both are original, but both have what I'd consider as nice wood and used but not abused. Both were purchased from pawn shops.

To answer your questions, these guns are like tanks. The only thing I was told that might be worn was the firing pin and spring. I replaced these on both of mine for less than $20 total. Other than that just work the gun and make sure it operates smoothly.

I agree with Senior Smoke, the gun is at least $50-60 too high in price. But let's face it we are only talking about $40-50. If you like the look, like the feel and are OK spending the money, walk in with $350 cash in your hand and make them an offer. But if you really want the gun, keep an extra $50 in your back pocket.

Blueraven

9. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I am glad that I am not the only psycho 870 lover with way too much usless Remington 870 info running thru my head.

The gun is a little high if it is as worn as much as you say.
    The TC for 400.00 sounds like the better deal.
    I have 7 870 traps and several field guns and my nephews are not allowed to gradaute HS with out having one given to them.

Great shotguns but the earlier ones [late 70's and earlier] are so much better quality wise there is NO comparison.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.