1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 TC?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wayneo, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

How can you tell the difference in the pressed checkering of a TB vs. the cut checkering of the TC? Is there a different design, or more LPI, sharper feel to the checkering? Also did the later TC's come with Rem-chokes? Thanks for any info, Wayne

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Later TC's have chokes

3. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

I always thought the only difference was in the quality of the wood. Remington sure could put wood on them back in the day!

Darryl

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Cut checkering has raised points while pressed checkering has indented points.

The older 870 TC's had standard barrels and ribs while the newer 870 "TC Trap" (circa 1987) had over bored barrels, step ribs and some 870 TC Trap barrels had Rem Chokes.

My 870 TC Trap and 11/87 Premier Trap, each purchased new in 1987, have beautiful wood and the same finish as on the 3200 Competition Trap.

The later models of each did not have wood as fancy as the initial models of each. I have heard that this was because Remington used wood that was originally destined for the discontinued 3200 Competition Trap.

For a $450 - $500 shotgun, the wood is outstanding.

Ed Ward

5. jhoward

jhoward Member

My 870 TC has tubes and is backbored. Due to the backboring, standard chokes won't work correctly though. I checked mine, some 15 years ago, because of the bore size a standard Imp Cyl tube gives me about the constriction as the full that came with the gun. I don't recall the exact numbers, it's been too long.

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Can somebody answer this. There were 870TC's in the late 60's early 70's that had fantastic wood. The TB's were very nice as well. Then at some point I think in the 70's Remington start using what someone called a cross-cut method of making stocks for the 870 and 1100 which resulted in a highly figured stock, but it wasn't a natural figure like the old TC's had.

Am I remembering this correctly?

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Pressed checkering is in a "fluer de lis" pattern

8. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

My TB has "nice" wood. My brother's TC has fantastic wood. Both bought around 1972. I have a 30" trap full, he has 30" trap modified. Can't tell much difference for having about .013" difference in constriction.

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

1 time

ttt

10. Fowlgunner

Fowlgunner Member

TB - TC Differences,

The TB had a two Fluer-de-lis in the checkering pattern on the pistol grip.

The TC (Early) had a single solid hand cut checkering section through the pistol grip flat at the bottom and 3 points at the top.

The TC (Later Models) had the Tournament grade machine cut checkering single section with wing shaped section at top-back through the pistol grip and an extended length forearm like the Competition 870.

Will Gurton

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The barrels were different between the older TC's and TB's. There are no production markings on the true TC barrels. They were not just line stock like the TB barrels. There was time spent with them to assure a better quality bore.

Back in the seventies nefarious folks would purchase one TB and one TC. Switch the barrels and then sell the TC with the TB barrel touting it "New-in-box" for a TC price. So beware when you're buying one. All you have to do is look on the barrel and see if there are production numbers stamped on the barrel back near where the barrel meets the receiver, or not. If they're not there then your buying only part of a TC.

12. DickG

DickG TS Member

Bluedotman

I have an All-American 870. My understanding is that Remington made about 1000 of them in the mid 70's. Supposedly came out of Remington's custom shop.
    Great wood, and very smooth action. Not many around.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Barry,

In your post, does paragraph 1 say the opposite of paragraph 2? HMB

14. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I was told by Pete Jackson, who was a Remington rep. back in the 70s, that Rem. purchased their wood well in advance, not only to get the best price, but to get the quality they wanted.

Regards....Gerald

15. fishguts

fishguts Member

Bluedotman: would you be interested in selling your 870 All American? Huh, Huh,...would ya'..Huh, Huh?

Wayne

16. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

So lets see, the older TC's had better wood, and a fixed Mod. or full choke. Then in 1988 they went with an overbored barrel and Rem-chokes. Then according to Remington's time line, in 1996 they did something else to the TC but does not say what.

The only thing I can see it does not have "Wingmaster 870TC" on the left of the receiver. It now has "TRAP TC" on the right side of the receiver. Which barrels are preferred for trap shooting, the fixed or the overbored?

Bluedotman: How much you want for that All-American? I'm might be looking to sell or trade my GTI. Wayne

17. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I need some more opinions. I have a chance to buy a newer 870 TC. It has a competition barrel. Wood is not as good as older TC's. Five rem chokes with this gun. $700. I don't think so. Wayne

18. Fowlgunner

Fowlgunner Member

Sorry guys had to edit my post. I was thinking of an 1100 TB that had the two section grip cherckering.

Will

19. arrow

arrow Member

If you are interested in selling All Amarican Trap E-mail
    me with a number and I will give you a call

Bryan Pierce

20. DickG

DickG TS Member

Sorry, I'm not interested in selling my 870 All American. Took too long to find one in almost pristine condition. According to Joel Etchen,, it came out of his father's (Rudy) collection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to tell the difference between cut checkering and pressed checkering on a remington model 700 stock

remington 870 tc mv markings