1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 TC or 870 Classic Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by acss, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

what is the differance?

2. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

If I'm not mistaken, the Classic Trap is the current model which has choke tubes. The 870 TC is the early model. It had upgraded wood with hand cut checkering, as opposed to the TB model which had a lower grade of wood with stamped checkering. John

3. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I have a Remington 31 TC for sale on this forum.

It is the forerunner to the 870 and is in my opinion a much finer gun

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

hey bush- i have been eyeing that gun!! just got to build a want into a need! you know i just started the new club SBA shotgun buyers anonymous- when i get out of rehab maybe we can do a deal???? wally

5. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

31 TC looks better in person.

Only selling it to finance a break-open gun that will be easier to use with my son who is just getting started.

6. ismah

ismah Member

Personally, I think the Remington 870 Classic Trap is the best looking gun on the range.

7. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

The differences

The original 870TC came out when the 870 was introduced, in 1950, I don't recall when it was discontinuted but think it was in the early 1980's. It had a good grade of wood and cutt checkering (as opposed to stamped cherkering on the 870TB)

The second 870TC came out in the late 1980's and was offered to the mid 1990's. It had cut checkering, a long fore end and a step rib barrel with a .745" bore. The first year or so, they had fixed chokes but soon went over to Remchokes which were dimensioned for this particular versions bore.

The 870 Classic Trap was introduced in 2000 and is the current 870 trap version. In style, it more closely resembles the older, original 870TC, short fore end, cut checkering. The bore is a standard .727" and it has Remchokes. The receiver is "embelished" on these guns with a gold colored inlay. I would prefer they offered them plain, without this, as in the past but it would not be a deal breaker for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.