1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 TC, 870 Classic Trap, or BT-99

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blueraven81, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

I'm looking for some opinions.

I've got a new 13 year old trap shooter that I'm looking at getting a gun for. He is currently using his brother's 870 Wingmaster with a fixed modified choke.

His first time at the trap he shot a 28 of 50, so I think he'll get a handle on it. He seems to really like the sport and the gun, however he has no experience with either. This is the first time he's shot trap and only the second time he's shot a shotgun.

I really like the 870 due to it's simplicity and price also it can be used for other things besides singles trap.

I'm looking at three guns; an older 870 Wingmaster TC with a fix full choke, straight stock and adjustable butt plate that's in great condition for $350, an 870 Wingmaster Classic Trap with Rem chokes, adjustable butt plate and monte carlo stock that's also in great shape for $750 and a BT99, 32", Rem chokes, adjustable comb and butt plate in great shape for $1,150.

If the Classic Trap will work though out high school, I don't mind spending the extra money for it, but if I'm going to need to replace it with say a BT-99 then maybe I should take the plunge now and get the BT-99. On the other hand maybe for the price, the TC is way to go for a year or so to see if he will stick with the sport, then go with a BT99. At least going that way, he will always have the 870 TC to do other things with.

My 15 year old is shooting a Stoeger Comp. Condor O/U and averages around 75% after a year of shooting. Even though the Stoerger at $450 is a decent gun, I think I'm going to have to upgrade him to something better maybe next year.

So, any opinions on which way to go, 870TC now and BT-99 later or 870 Classic Trap to use for the next 4 or 5 years or so or the BT99 now?

Thanks, Blueraven

2. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

you have a pm welcome to call me 660-744-4115 wally riebesell

3. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Knowing how kids interests change I would go with the 870TC if you can fit it to him.
    The 870TC's were fine guns with nice wood and slick actions.

I started with one and it worked for me, I then had it restocked by Russ Anton and my wife shot it.

You might think of adding an adjustable comp to help with the gun fit and you still won't have much invested.

ed

c

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Blueraven, I say for kids their is nothing better than the BT-99!!! Now because of your son's age I say add a PFS to the gun. Vern makes a grip for the 99 and will take out most recoil for him and its totally adj. So the gun stock will grow as he does. If youngest son quits it will go to older son. If all quit sell off pieces. If you buy the gun and the PFS all used, you can keep the original stock (don't have to cut) and use after they grow up and then sell of just the PFS. Its perfect for kids. You will lose almost nothing on gun in the short run or the long run, and the kids will have a good shooter that fits as well. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

5. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I vote and recomend the BT99, until they get interested in doubles or soprting clays, then a good used Citori O/U for about the same $$ as a good used BT...lb

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I would have to say the BT-99, simple to use, easy to clean. But to find a great condition older 870 TC for $350, buy it. Wayne

7. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Guess it depends a lot on his size. Due to the length of the forearm, getting a comfortable grip/gun mount on an 870 might be a bit of a challenge for an average sized 13 year old. An out-stretched left arm(right handed shooter) is not the best way to learn.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Can't go wrong with either choice. At a later time, the BT-99 might be a bit easier to sell.

Pat Ireland

9. dflo

dflo Member

Well from personal experience. My Dad bought me a BT-99 Plus when Jaqua's closed them out 16 - 17 years ago. I was 15 years old and shot very little trap with it. But I kept the gun now 10 weeks ago a so called friend told me to dust it off and come shoot with him one Sunday after church. Guess what I am so hooked new reloader 3 more shotguns and 3100 registered targets in the last 10 weeks. I love and respect the sport now at 32 than I ever had. If it was not for that BT-99 I would not have the great experiences I am having now.

Dale

10. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

If you are looking at the newer BT-99, you may want to check into them with anyone you know that is using one.

I acquired a new one in 2007. It has given me some grief in less than 7,000 rounds. I did not expect this after decades of observing the older BT's in use over 1,000's of rounds and many years use.

I may have got the lemon and it could be most of the new production is fine but mine was a dissappointment (sear wear suffient to go from a 4 pound to 28 oz trigger and the lever centering in under 7,000 rounds).

11. moowho

moowho Member

I started my son out with a winchester 1300 youth at age 12 he shot it for 1 year then I put him in a BT99 and I got all my money back from the winchester

12. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Thanks for the opinions. Personally I've only shot a shotgun three or four times and I'm not into trap myself, but I certainly can see the draw.

My Sons really seem to enjoy it.

I do however enjoy owning the guns.

Well it appears opinions are pretty much split with maybe the BT99 getting the nod. I'm considering another Classic Trap but leaning to getting the 870 TC for $350, but who knows I might end up with a pair of BT-99s.

Thanks,
    Blueraven

13. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

The bt may cost a little bit more, but its well worth it.

As Pat said, you could resell it later easily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

870 tc vs classic trap

rem classic trap vs browning bt 99

remington 870 classic trap or bts 99

remington 870 classic trap vs browning bt 99