1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 TB Trigger pull question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sero, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sero

Sero Member

I recently was able to pick up a very nice Rem 870 TB that is in terrific condition.
    Great wood, 95+ blueing, adjustable butt system and so on and it crushes birds.
    Regarding the bird crushing, that's when you remember what a stiff trigger pull it has.
    I generally shoot one of my older 101 diamond grades which have extremely smooth and light trigger pulls. Like a hot knife through butter.
    As for this 870 well its' trigger is is possibly twice as hard to pull than my 101's.
    I have an old 870 that I bought from Millikan's Sports back when and it's pull is very nice.
    Not being familier with trap trigger springs or replacement systems I'm asking for some related feedback.
    I really don't want to have to drop a ton on a new system.
    Are there different strength springs available for the 870 and if so what are your suggestions as to where to buy them.
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the helpful feedback I always know I can get from the site.
    John Seroczynski
    Valparaiso, IN.

2. alant

alant TS Supporters TS Supporters

There are different springs available. Remington has 3 lb. and 3 1/2 - 5 lb. ones. I have some different ones on hand. if you can measure your spring length and wire diameter, I can see if I have a lighter one for you. PM if interested.

Thanks, Alan

3. alant

alant TS Supporters TS Supporters

There are different springs available. Remington has 3 lb., 3 1/2-5 lb. and 5 lb. I have some springs on hand also. If you can measure your spring length and wire diameter, I can see if I have one lighter. PM if interested.

Thanks, Alan

4. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Take the sear spring out of your trigger and cut a small portion off until you get your desired pull you want. You will need a trigger scale. I do have for sale a like new 870 trigger group with Timney hammer and parts for sale.

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

There is a kit for thr remington triggers, It comes with several springs that are color coded for diffrent strengths. Someone may remember who sold them.

6. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

You could swap triggers with your other 870 esp. if it's a field gun. A heavier trigger is usually not an issue on a field gun.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Get a Timney 870 Trigger Fix Kit. It comes with an adjustable sear and three trigger springs and converts a stiff, mushy 870 trigger with a lot of overtravel into a nice rifle-quality trigger.

[​IMG]

Here's what the installed kit looks like.

[​IMG]

Installation is easy and takes just a few minutes. I do not recommend simply changing the trigger spring. I tried that just for grins and the softer spring made the inherent sloppiness in the trigger assembly even more noticeable. The Timney sear is a huge part of the improvement this kit offers.

Ed

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

9. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

If you dont have $100 to blow on the Timney Fix and just want to replace the sear spring alone, this will get you down to about a 3 or 3.5lbs trigger pull and only costs about $10 shipped.

http://www.barnesgunparts.com/remington-11008701187-.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.