1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 TB Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FIB, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I was at my local Gander Mtn store last night and noticed a Remington 870 TB in VG+ - EX condition. The gun appeared to have an older fixed full choke barrel on it (the barrel was marked for 2 3/4 inch shells or shorter - or something to that extent). The barrel had the mid bead and a Bradley front bead. The thing that has me a little confused though is that the shell carrier is in the blue not chrome/silver like the older 870's. When did Remington quit chroming(sp) the shell carrier? BTW, the price is $ 349.00, is this in line? Anything else I should look for to determine if the gun has been altered? TIA, Randy

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I would think any 870 that is in good shape no matter what the finish on the bolt would be a good buy for $350.

Was the barrel a 30" with a vent rib? These alone can bring 125 to 150 in good shape.

Guy Babin

3. FIB

FIB Member

Yes, it has a 30" Full choke VR barrel.

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Check to make sure the receiver is not cracked in the bolt opening area. The only thing I'd want to know is if it shoots straight.

If it shoots straight and there are no cracks, and you want one, it is a good buy.

Guy

5. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks gdbabin for the info. I called Remington w/the serial number and the gun was mfg'd in 1977. To me the barrel looks older (especially when it says 12 gauge 2 3/4" shells or shorter). Does anyone know when Remington quit putting "2 3/4 or shorter" on their barrels???

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I think 1971 or 72 was the last year for the chrome bolt and carrier. What's the date code on the barrel? Call Remington and see if the serial number matches the date code on the barrel. $350 is a good buy for any VG Wingmaster.

Wayne

7. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I bought my 870 TB new in late '77 or early '78. It has a chrome bolt and blued carrier and a six-digit serial number. The barrel is marked "12 Ga for 2 3/4" Shells".

8. FIB

FIB Member

According to Remington the receiver was made in 1977 so the blued carrier is correct. I'm just wondering about the barrel. I thought the markings on the barrel namely the "2 3/4 or shorter" was on barrels fron the 50's or 60's. I called GM to try to find the barrel codes. On the left side of the barrel they said it appeared to have the numbers 60. On the right side there was the letter S then REP in a circle (proof mark I know) then the letter G after the proofmark.

9. FIB

FIB Member

Ross, I now believe that the receiver is all original just wondering if someone swapped barrels. The barrel that is on the gun is marked FULL and has a mid bead along with a Bradley front bead. I'm just perplexed with the "2 3/4 OR SHORTER" markings. To me (based on owning quite a few Remington shotguns) the barrel would not be orignal to the gun. At lunch I'm going to stop by and have a cloer look at the barrel codes.

10. FIB

FIB Member

Ross, all mine say 2 3/4 also but this barrel says "2 3/4 OR SHORTER" which I thought was on older barrels. Regards, Randy Price

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

There should be two letters on the rear left side of the barrel that can be translated to the month and year the barrel was made. Sometimes they are poorly stamped and difficult to make out. However, there was a period of time when Remington did not date-mark the barrels but I don't have my chart here at work, so I don't know when that was.

Ed

12. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

If there is no date code on the barrel perhaps the barrel is a replacement. My understanding is the date codes were stamped when the gun was made month and year. Replacement barrels were not stamped. I am finding this true with Remington rim fires any way.

Year code for 1977 would be O. That would be the last letter. All date codes are with letters both month and year.

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Buy the gun, well worth the money. If the barrel doesn't smoke targets the way you like, For $75.00 to $125.00 you can purchase another one from a shooter. That is what is nice about a 870, doesn't cost an arm and a leg for parts, barrels, etc.
    Steve Balistreri

14. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks guys for all the information. I tried to make out the letters (barrel code)and really couldn't. As I stated earlier the only reason I thought the barrel wasn't original was because on the left side it said "FOR 2 3/4" OR SHORTER SHELLS". I originally thought the barrel was older than the receiver (1977). I think I will get the gun regardless. The wood on the gun is nice and as Steve pointed out parts are readily available and are reasonable. Thanks again to everyone for the replies, Regards, Randy Price

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.