1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 target barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mikeinmich, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeinmich

mikeinmich Member

Anyone else using one of these and willing to share experience with the different chokes available? I've been shooting the extra full choke. It seems to work well for me. The chokes for this barrel are marked full trap, extra full trap and super full trap. I'm new to this and would appreciate any input. I can see that these tubes are not sized like the traditional Rem-chokes.

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Actually, they are - they are simply renamed to mate with the "Target" barrel's larger bore diameter.

If you run a bore micrometer through your barrel, you're going to find that it measures between .730" and .745" until about three inches from the choke tube threads. There, it tapers down to .727," so the barrel has between .003" and .018" of "built-in" choke. Obviously, using a normal "full" choke would result in overchoking, especially in a .745" bore - you'd wind up with something on the order .053" or more of constriction.

My experience with patterning those RemChokes is not good. First of all, the net constrictions they yielded were .003", .038" and .048," if I recall correctly. If not, that's close. The "Full Trap" tube actually had an outlet diameter that was .742," so it really reopened the choke, so I never patterned it. But the other two threw very uneven patterns with lots of holes, so I bought a .015" constriction Wright's tube that netted me .033" of constriction.

Do check your barrel's bore diameter. Those "Target" barrels were .745" when they first came out but got progressively tighter as time went on. Today, the "Target" barrels Remington has in stock are no larger in bore than .730" and do not have stepped ribs.

Those older .745" barrels do shoot soft, though.

Ed

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Go buy some extended Briley chokes in the choke dia. of your choice. Like a Mod. and Improved Mod. and a Full. The regular Rem. chokes are not very good. Out of round and off in the size that is marked quite often from what I here. A good target choke will cost around $50 a piece new, sometimes even more. But its well worth it. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. mikeinmich

mikeinmich Member

From what I've heard so far I think I should be looking for a different barrel altogether or a different gun.I own it because it came with the gun and apparently it was a failure on Remingtons part. I have quite a few 870's and I was using this same barrel with different buttstocks on other receivers to see what would work best for me shooting trap.

5. shrek

shrek Active Member

If it's an older one with a step rib and you want to get rid of it, I might be interested depending on what you price it at.

I have an older fixed choke 870 30 inch barrel marked trap Mod, that is running about .022 or 0.023 of choke that is in excellent shape I would offer in trade or partial trade if that interests you.

The main thing you should do if you want to keep is, is have it measured to see what you are dealing with, then you can choke accordingly.

6. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I don't understand these Remington BBLs. I have 2 One on an 11-87 trap 30" step rib barrel with choke tubes and a Remington 870 TC with a 30" step rib BBL and the regular chokes like full or Imp.mod seems to work best. So I don't know if they are overbored or not. I had one back in the Late 80's that came with the trap full, trap x full, and trap super full that would not shoot regular chokes good at all just the ones that came with it. I wonder all the time if these guns I have now are overbored.

7. fishguts

fishguts Member

So do I have it right that the late 80's TC guns WILL accept regular Rem-chokes? I quit shooting the one I have because I only have the trap "full" that came with the gun when I bought it used.

Wayne

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Yes, all RemChokes will safely fit into any RemChoke barrel, whether of the standard or "Target" variety and regardless if the tubes are standard or "Trap." The threaded portion of all of them is the same. But if using a non-"Trap" tube in a "Target" barrel, you WILL have to mic the bore so you know how much choke is built into the barrel. For example, I wanted .032" or .033" of constriction and my barrel has .018" of built-in choke, so I use a #5 Wright's choke, which has .015" of constriction. Conversely, using a "Trap" tube in a field barrel will leave you with a lot less constriction than you expect.

Ed

9. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

That is true about using any Remchoke, My guns are both late 80's models and I've tested a variety of chokes to see what patterns best. The very best seems to be a choke I have that came with the new Remington trap guns. They come with singles, mid handicap, and long handicap. I have all of these and the singles which is .27 constriction or Imp.Mod patterns best in my older Remington target barrels.

10. fishguts

fishguts Member

Ed, thank you for this information.

Wayne

11. nrasmus

nrasmus Member

I had one of those target barrels with the three trap chokes and patterned it with the trap full real nice even 30" pattern at 40 yards. It would just smoke targets. I wish I still had it to be honest with you guys. I fanyone has one and interested in selling it shoot me an email.

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
870 target

870 target barrel

870 target barrels
870 trap barrel
remington 870 target
remington 870 target barrel

remington 870 target barrels

what choke is in a 870 trap barrel