1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 target barrel help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ernesto1, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ernesto1

Ernesto1 Member

Hi everyone, happy holidays. I had an extremely dissatisfying experience with Remington recently. I returned an 870 Classic Trap because the rib was distorted. Because they no longer make the trap barrel, they replaced it with a field 30" barrel. Well, this barrel lowered the point of impact to the point I cannot effectively shoot it with the Monte Carlo stock. Does anyone know where I could obtain the now obsolete 30" target barrel? If if helps, Remington's model # for the original barrel is 240654. Any help would be awesome. Thanks all.

Darryl

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

You can still buy a new Hastings barrel w/ chokes in the 30 inch. Cabelala's (mispelled) has them as do others. The good old one's (Rem's) all have fixed chokes and the 30 inch ones are all fixed full. Which does limit what you can do with that barrel. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

3. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

You can get an add-on rib and cure your problem. Keen-sights and others make them.

4. shrek

shrek Active Member

Ernesto,

Was the one with a problem one of the old step rib barrels?

The current barrels they put on new trap versions has the same rib as the field ones, and the old trap versions prior to the step rib barrels, which were only made for a few years, also had the same rib as the field versions.

5. Ernesto1

Ernesto1 Member

Thanks for the responses. I checked with Cabela's and Hastings directly and cannot find any reference to an 870 30" trap/target barrel. Perhaps they have been discontinued. Keen Sights could be a last resort effort as I wish to preserve the originality of the 870 as purchased.

In response to Shrek, the original barrel on this classic trap is not the step barrel. I have a step barrel on my 870 competition trap that is perfect.
    I assumed the replacement barrel installed by Remington was a field barrel because I cannot achieve the classic figure 8 with the sight beads as I could with the original barrel. I have about 3/16" of space between the mid and front beads without severly crouching down on the stock.

Darryl

6. remtrap

remtrap Member

The TARGET bbls that Rem had for a few years were the best ones to find because they were overbored to about .745 and had a little less recoil than the TRAP bbls. You had to watch your Rem Choke choice because of what was letterd on the choke and constriction difference. I have a TARGET bbl with tubes on a TB Grade and one with fixed full TARGET on a TC Grade. Love them both. The new ones don't even compare to these but Rem felt they had an open door for problems due to the overbore and people not knowing the difference when they screw a choke in one.

There are still some around, but you have to look hard and try to pry the owners hands off of one.

Shoot Well Tom Furst

7. Ernesto1

Ernesto1 Member

Just to let all know. I filed a dispute with my credit card company that initiated a call to the dealer I purchased the shotgun from. They contacted Remington with the problem and arranged for Remington to send me the correct barrel that is supposedly obsolete. This dealer bent over backwards to help and make things right, even though his literature states that once you take possession all warranty issues should be handled through the manufacturer. I highly recommend R&R Arms to anyone wishing to purchase a gun through mailorder and wants to save a few bucks in the deal. They have good prices, fast delivery and fully stand behind the product abover and beyond if you have a legitimate concern.

I wish to make it clear that I did not initiate a call to the dealer because of his warranty statement. However, when made known of the situation they did not hesitate to help in any way possible.

Thanks again for all your input and I will update the thread upon receipt of this correct barrel from Remington.

Darryl

8. Ernesto1

Ernesto1 Member

Well, Remington did actually send me a true target barrel like the original. Didn't ask how or where they got it, but don't really care. The barrel fits better than the original and had made my sight picture back to where it was originally. If any of you have a classic trap barrel problem, do not let Remington tell you that they no longer can replace this target barrel. I know there is at least one more in their inventory as they sent the first replacement barrel to an incorrect address. Remington put a retrieve order on that barrel and simultaneously sent another to the correct address.

Apparently with a little push, Remington will do the right thing.

Thank you all that responded to this thread for your help and input. Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.