1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Short Action...What is this?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Golden Beebe, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

Found this barrel. It fits a standared 870, but as you can see by the pictures the magazine lug is not in the correct location. I was told today that Remington made a short run of "short action" 870's. Anyone out there ever seen one? Have a picture?

The barrel will accept 3" shells and is marked as a MOD choke...

Any info would be appreciated.

<a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/bulldograce/?action=view┬Ąt=100_2122.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/bulldograce/?action=view&current=100_2123.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/bulldograce/?action=view&current=100_2125.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. trap906

trap906 Member

thats for the "special field" i believe, limited production back in the 80's I think. I could be wrong, but I don't think so

3. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

trap906,

I also heard something similar "Feild Special". Ever seen one?

4. trap906

trap906 Member

yeah I have, seen one, but several years back. there was also an 1100 special field.

5. shrek

shrek Active Member

yup,

It's for the special field model, they had an english straight stock and a shorter magazine tube.

They were suited for the grouse and rabbit woods, hunting in the thick brush.

I owned one for a little while.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It's an 870 Special Field, which had a shorter magazine tube, shorter forend, shorter action bars assembly and the barrel hanger was moved back. The stock was the "English" pattern, having a straight grip, no pistol grip. Barrels for these guns are not common. The barrel is 23" long.<br>
    <br>
    The 1100 Special Field also had an English stock and a 23" barrel, but the "barrel hanger" (properly called the gas chamber) was not moved back, and the forend and magazine tube was the same length as any other 1100 forend. Because of this, any 1100 barrel would interchange. Unlike the 870 Special Field, there was no real weight savings with this model.<br>
    <br>
    There was also an 1187 version of the 1100 Special Field, but it was called the 1187 Upland. It would accept any 1187 barrel.<br>
    <br>
    The only shortened semi-auto was the 1187 Sporting Clays, which had a shorter forend and magazine tube, but the barrel hanger was in the same location, so any other 1187 light contour barrel could be swapped on (the short forend was inletted only for a light contour barrel).<br>
    <br>
    Remington made a limited run of the 11-96 Euro, which had a lightweight steel receiver. If I recall right the forend and mag tube were standard length, which is puzzling since the idea was to make a lightweight version. You'd think it would have the forend and mag tube of the Sporting Clays model.

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

It is a special field barrel made in 12 and 20 gauge, usually on a lightweight 870 or 1100 with straight "English" grip stock and normal 21" length. Have one in 20 and was I shocked when I got an additional barrel and the fit was off. Great handling guns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.