1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

870 shell feeding malfunction?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sts1100, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sts1100

sts1100 Member

870 LW has developed shell feeding malfunction. Slowly cycling the action will chamber the shell, cylcing the action fast results in the shell not high enough to enter the chamber, and the extractor puts a groove in the rim. Removing the extractor it functions normally. Attached photo shows the jam, After polishing a few burrs off with no improvement I am running out of ideas what could be the cause other than a bent carrier or worn carrier dog, this gun has not been shot much, any suggestions?

Thanks

[​IMG]
  2. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

CARRIER DOG SPRING MAY BE WEAK. TRY ONE FROM A 1187 12 GA OR 870 POLICE ETC AS THEY HAVE TO LIFT HEAVIER SHELLS.
  3. shrek

shrek Member

I had one acting very similar to yours.

I put a new carrier/ lifter assembly in and the problem went away
  4. sts1100

sts1100 Member

Thanks for the input, I considered a new lifter assy., but not the carrier dog spring. This is a 20 year old 870 that has been used for hunting occasionally, then decided to use it for a pump gun 5 stand league for fun.
  5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

Is that a re-load? The shell is not rounded at the crimp. and this will affect shell feeding. Does it work OK with new shells?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
  6. sts1100

sts1100 Member

Shell is factory Remington gun club
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.