1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Remington or Winchester model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tinylo, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

If I had both available, I'd pick the Winchester. If I had to go out and buy one, I'd buy the the 870 because they are still made, there are way more available used, plus you don't have to have that keen an eye when inspecting a used 870, like you would need checking out used Model 12s. Inspecting used guns when you don't know the model very well can lead to costly disasters. If you want new then there is obviously no choice but the 870.

2. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

back in it's day, the m-12 was the gun that has prolly won more trapshoots than any other gun made, but times change, go with the 870, u can get parts, if and when u might need them which is rare for the money they are very good trap guns, rember it's not so much the gun as it is the shooter behind it just mho, dennis

3. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

That question is similar to Ford vs. Chevy plenty of opinions

I have two M-12 and two 870 all trap configured all very good.

4. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Bluedot, is your name really TRON in another life? He likes to fish too. Not to dis you but this question is probably asked more times than 71/2 or 8.

Steve

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

This fellow was able to break a few with an 870...

-Gary

6. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

To me get a Model 12. Better trigger pull. Better ribs to look down. Overall better quaility feeling. Now as to whether the M12 is a better gun. Probably not really. Some say M12 some say 870. I have both but for trap I like the M12 better. Just my opinion. These days I don't shoot either unless needed for a backup.

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Like comparing a Mercedes to a Chevy. I just saw a few brand new ones go for over $1,700 on GunBroker last week and if you're not afraid to spend money they're still available. One has a pot metal trigger and the other is a machined work of art. Of course, there's quite a few boned out specials out there so it pays to know what you're buying.

I suppose you already know which one I prefer!!

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Sarge/Fred:

You advised, "You also need to stay away from any over and under retailing under 5 grand."

That's a funny statement, especially to a beginner. Please elaborate on why you feel that way.

-Gary

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Two great guns. I have owned them both. i feel that the 870 is an easier gun to shoot for most people. but, if you find the right model 12, your a lucky man. in my opinion, no other gun feels better in my hands than a model 12 for trap shooting. if i had the money, i would purchase a trap grade model 12. i would also purchase a used rem 870 tb, or tc grade from the 60's or 70's. use one as a backup, not that you would probably ever need the other one. this is what makes trapshooting such a great game. pondering over questions like this. now if you say what gun would i want to use if my life depended on it, the 870 hands down.
    steve balistreri

10. senior smoke

reason for the 870, double action bars.
    steve

11. ismah

ismah Member

I've had both and feel the 870 is a better gun. I've never liked the way a M12 breaks down, the way it rattles and the loose feel when chasing hard angles. My 870 came with four trap shooting chokes, it shoots where I point it and I've never had a mechanical problem with it. Here's another two cents; I like the newer Winchester Model 1300 over the M12. (uh oh) It has a rotary bolt and is called a "Speed Loader" for good reason. It's solid and very dependable. You might consider it.

12. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

All right you can gut hook me...I ought to buy me an old M-12 trap because I've got a field model that I can shoot as well at trap as my TB 870. They just swing right. They may be harder to work on, the 870 is apart in seconds, but if God made a pump shotgun he would have made a Winchester Model 12.

Steve

13. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

My first real trap gun was an older Model 870 TC with a Monte Carlo stock. (I still believe the older 870's are better built than the newer ones). It was a very nice gun and had really nice wood. I sold this gun and bought a Model 12 trap, (pigeon grade). I used this gun for a number of years and finally ended up selling it so I could buy me a pick up truck. (1970) Well the pickup has been in the junk yard for a lot of years and I wonder who ended up with this great gun. There is no comparison between a Model 12 trap and an 870 trap. Both will break targets; however, the Model 12 will break them and leave a smile on your face. :) My opinion. Ed

14. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Q: What's better; Ford or Chevy, Mack or Autocar, Winchester or Remington?

A: Ford, Mack, Winchester

I am sure that 50% of the people will agree with me half of the time.

(P.S. I own both). So it continues...

15. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

That ones easy. 870. The number one selling gun ever.

16. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

An 870 is a great gun and heavy girls are better lovers you just don't want to be seen in public with them.

By the Model 12 and walk around like a high school sophmore dating the senior Prom Queen.

Model 12's just show class and good taste.

Now all you 870 lovers can bring on the heat with your pressed beer can triggers and pressed checkering delights.

PS if you do get a 870 do get the old TC model like old Rudy Etchen spanked everyone with they were real 870's worth owning. Better wood real checkering better quality workmanship on the old ones.

17. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

have had several m12s & many 870s,, slight preference for 870s as they seem to fit me better & much easier to service & clean. no unusual problems with either one, THEN one day I got to shoot a friends m31 Rem.TC wow -- went out & bought one & never looked back, kept a couple 870s as back ups (have not needed them). also now have a backup 31TC (haven't needed that either). methinks if God did build & shoot a trapgun it would have to be a m31 TC. no offence to m12 lovers, they just did not have my good fortune to try a m31TC. LOL Ross

18. senior smoke

ross- you are right, the rem 31 tc is a great gun. i have always felt that it is easier to shoot than the model 12. the chokes in the 31's are fantastic, smoke poles. only weekness in that gun is the single action bar. when i shot a 31, i always had one action bar for a back up. i did break one, one time. great gun.
    steve balistreri

19. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

So how many people have actually broken a action bar on a M12? My 1st 25 straight was with a friends M12 so I went out and bought a new M12 Y model in 1973. I still have a 1936 M12 That is setup as a trap gun. Simons rib, upgraded Monte Carlo wood etc. I shoot it once in a while and my 870 during our once a year pump gun shoot. These are also my backup guns to my K80 TS as I cannot afford another K80. I still prefer the M12 to the 870 and if you all believe the 870 is better because of the double action bar thats why I ask how many M12 action bars have you known to break? I've known of NONE.

20. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

As some have expressed the 870 IS a "punch press gun", with a pot metal trigger plate, etc.

We have two M12's still in regular sue at our club.

When one of them misfires on a Top Gun or similar promo shell, once and a while, when this happens, the owners hand it to an 870 owner and they fire it ;) Some of these 870's are "high mileage" guns themselves.

I used to be a severe, outspoken critic and basher of the 870 until I bought my first one in the mid 1970's on a whim.

The prefernce of handling of one or the other is subjective and varies with the individual; I suggest picking up the one you prefer best since you will be the one shooting it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
model 12 shotgun vs remington 870

model 12 vs 870

remington 870 peigeon gun modle 12
remington 870 wingmaster vs winchester model 12
remington model 12 pump shotgun vs winchester model 12
winchester model 12 vs new gun

winchester model 12 vs remington 870

winchester model 870 trap grade shotgun