1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 recoil

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dave McC, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave McC

Dave McC TS Member

I sold a 1978 870TB recently. It was about 8 lbs, 4 oz with the Jones plate and KickEez Magnum pad. No kick,even with Nitros. Ran at least 20K shells through that since 99 with a good number of straights. Claycrunching death ray when I did my part.

Field grades work best for trap with a bit of weight added. Anyone with a reloader can fill a few trash hulls with shot, no powder/new primer.wad, and crimp them down hard. These weigh in at 3-4 oz each. Secure two in the stock hole so they can't move and two more in the mag tube. On that....

Acquire a spare mag spring and two of the plastic mag followers.Cut 6" or so from the middle of the spring. Take out the whole spring.From the reciever, build using first a follower, piece of spring,follower, two dummy hulls full of shot, follower, spring,retainer,mag cap. Voila!! Poor Man's Recoil Reducer.

HTH, Dave McCracken

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I just about gave away an 870 to my 14 year old nephew and he was a big kid who played on the school football team. I sure felt bad when he developed a big red bruise on his cheek with that thing. My own daughters aged 12 and 13 at the time could shoot a BT-99 with the same 1 oz loads as my nephew and they didn't get hurt. Our family experience YMMV.

3. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Definitely not 870 because of the recoil unless it's in 20 gauge.

4. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I shot my 870TB from 1977 until 2005.

It fits me very well.

I have never had any problems with recoil even when firing hundreds of rounds/day.

I am not tough or recoil insensative but this gun or my later 870TC never bothered me with recoil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

poormans recoil reducer 870