1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 recoil device

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jhmorrisn, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhmorrisn

jhmorrisn TS Member

What is this that I've heard about a "device" that you put in the magazine.

What is it and does is work?

2. B V

B V TS Member

I have two of them. They used to come with a new 870 at one time.

They are the same diameter as the rim on a shell and the same length as a duck plug.

They go in the magazine tube ahead of the spring and have a set screw that goes in a hole that was in the side of the magazine tube at the end on 870's at that time.

They are solid steel and add a good amount of weight to the gun.

I found that they move the balance forward and I added an equal weight to the stock screw hole under the recoil pad.

This makes for a heavy 870 with much less felt recoil.

BV

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I like casting a lead cylinder the same size as a 12 guage shell and put one in the front of the magazine tube and one in the butt stock. Keeps the guns balance the same and reduces recoil. HMB

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMB- Would not it be simpler to fill a 12 ga shell with lead shot and sealing it with glue? If you place one of these in front of the magazine spring with the brass/steel head toward the end of the barrel the additional weight will reduce the total recoil. Also, you can easily hear the weighted shell moving back and compressing the spring when the gun is fired. This will lengthen the recoil force curve and reduce peak, not total, recoil.

Pat Ireland

5. jhmorrisn

jhmorrisn TS Member

I don't know if I want to trade off additional weight for less recoil.

Jim

6. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

It's simple -- light gun = more recoil. Heavier gun = less recoil. That is why men like Harlan Campbell and Ray Stafford shoot shotguns that weigh 13 or so pounds. That is part of the reason, along with a perfect fit stock, that they can take the recoil of a weeks shooting and still finish strong at the end of the weeks competion.

If you don't want to add weight, your only option is a lighter payload shell. Which means 1 ounce of shot instead of 1 1/8th or even less if need be. You could also try the 2 3/4 dram shells instead of the 3 dram loads, but reducing the payload is the easiest solution.

Another thought, you can install a Gooey recoil pad on the 870. I have them on all my trap shotguns, they remove more recoil than any other pad. The downside is you will be replacing it more than others, but I don't care as they do such a good job of dampening recoil. I either use a flat or rocker pad. Hope these suggestions help you.

Tom Strunk

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you subscribe to Trap Shooting USA ook at the July - August isue that pretty well goes over the various and available recoil reducers. On page 36 they list and talk about BLACKHAWK for 870's. WWW.BLACKHAWK.COM-Lower case. Hopes this helps. Dave

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The best modification to the 870 to reduce recoil was when Remington made the 1100 LOL.

You might look for recoil reduction devices that fit in a modified buttstock, like the Clyde Slide and the Soft Touch. I don't know if the PFS stock is made in an 870 version or not.

9. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

HMB & Pat are right on...I've been doing the same thing for years and with the addition of a good quality recoil pad, quite frankly there is not much difference in felt recoil between the 870 and 870 Comp and not much more than an 1100. Because the 870 is so light to begin with, the added weight makes the gun feel more like a trap gun and less like a field gun.

10. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

TOM,
    Do Harlans and Rays guns really weigh 13 lbs? Not questioning your word but I find this really interesting and would like to know how do you know this information? SMOKIT

11. Tom Strunk

SMOKIT -

That has been the rumor around the trap fields for quite a while, although I have no direct knowledge that their shotguns weigh 13 lbs. You can watch the Phil Kiner video and he will tell you that he has added a lot of weight to his K-80, maybe he will answer what his gun weighs here.

My K-80 trap special weighs 10 1/4 lbs. and I'm a old man of 74 yrs. So I can see how their guns could weigh a lot more. However I will find out the truth and post it here after I talk to Tom Wilkinson tomorrow.

I have just talked to a friend of mine that told me that a few years back that Staffords gun weighed 12 lbs. then.

Tom W. will know as he is the man that builds Ray's shotguns.

Tom Strunk

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I must add weight to all my trap guns in order to shoot with less felt recoil. That and a reduced shot charge, 1 ounce loads. Over the years I've purchased many of the top line aftermarket models of reducers. I now use copper tubing filled with melted lead exclusively for less felt recoil, even in my fitted to me stock! I don't know the exact weights of my guns but my buddy Tom S. says my P O/U is heavy compared to his 10-1/4 pound K gun! Those super soft gel recoil pads help a lot too for dissipating recoil shock! The pads get bigger on compression spreading out and absorbing a big part of the felt recoil. I will get an accurate weight number when I get to some accurate scales. My BR scales are a ladies dream?

Years ago I used weight in my model 12s magazine for adding weight too. I found that extra weight in there is a bad idea unless you want to change the mag tube once in a while? I'd also think any of the Rems mag tubes may loosen after a while also? That's a lot of forward force in there!

Hap

13. Tom Strunk

SMOKIT --

As promised, I called Tom Wilkinson this morning about the weight of Staffords and Campbells guns as he does the set up on both.

I found out that Stafford has gone back to a lighter gun, the heavy guns were about ten years ago. Staffords TMX-9 weighs 10.5 lbs, Campbells K-80 weighs 12 plus lbs.

Since Tom Seitz passed in 1988 Tom Wilkinson has done all my barrel work so I am able to get answers from him to answer your questions.

Also I agree with Hap, that adding weight to the magazine tube can cause problems. I did that to both a Model 12 and a very nice 870. I distroyed the magazine tube in the Model 12 and would not advise anyone to do it, I didn't have the weight in the 870 long enough to hurt it.

I would again like to go back to my orginal post, use one ounce loads for the easest solution as jhmorrison wants to keep his gun light, and add a Gooey recoil pad. A good solution that doesn't cost hardly anything.

Tom Strunk

14. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Tom,....... Thanks for following up on this. My Alfermann weighs 10.5 lbs but it points quite lively. I like heaver guns if the weight is in the right place....SMOKIT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

870 recoil

870 with recoil

recoil pad for trap 870