1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 receiver crack

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by archangel, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. archangel

archangel Member

My very favorite 870 tb seems to be developing a hair line crack where the bolt retracts into the receiver, it is about 1/2 inch long the gun shoots great, I've been shooting my best scores with it. I noticed the crack about 1 month ago and thought it was a scratch, now i'm not so sure; any sugestions on a fix? Mike

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Drill a small hole at the end of the crack ... that should stop it.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I myself would have the crack milled out with an endmill slightly larger than the crack, and go slightly further than the crack. That will remove it completely, most likely prevent it from spreading (although it can always crack someplace else) and would look more cosmetically pleasing.

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Mine cracked as well, but the crack is on both sides of the ejection port. Is it worth it to send it to Remington?

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Joe- Couldn't hurt. If they don't give you a new receiver gratis, they might give you a new one at a discount. I wouldn't count on getting a new one for free, but its not unheard of.

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Guys, make sure the barrel stays tight. If the detent spring and pin is missing (in the barrel lug. keeps magazine cap tight) it will cause this issue. Never shoot an 870 with a loose barrel or if the detent is missing.

ss

7. joe kuhn

Just printed out the factory repair form and will send it in to see what happens. (support, repair services, scroll down and there's the form 'Factory Repair Form')

ss - usually my bbl is so tight I have to use a big flat head screw driver to loosen the cap, but I might have missed it on a few days.

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have a mid 1950's 870tb that has a significant receiver crack from the bottom right of the ejection port downwards at a 45 degree angle for about an inch and a half. It has been shot probably over 300,000 times. I am the 3rd owner of the TB. The crack has been drilled and I think silver soldered and the crack has resumed it's path on the other side of the drill hole.

I showed the receiver to the Remington gunsmith at the Grand in 2010 and he said that the 870 was safe to shoot as an 870 bolt locks into the barrel tang above he bolt.

My understanding is that the only fix is a new receiver which will run about $350 or so from Remington.

I have an old 1960's 870 field grade that has been shot less than 1000 times. I may someday replace the cracked 870 TB receiver with the receiver from the field grade.

Ed Ward

9. archangel

archangel Member

hi Joe you saw the crack on tuesday. I reinspected it today and I think its cracked. The comment on the barrel being tight could be a cause as mine could be wiggled a bit except on hot days and a hot barrel when it would expand. Mike

10. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Don't laugh but my 870 comp receiver was cracked, I ground it out a little, mixed JB weld and had a small piece of blued metal that was about the same size. I mixed it up clamped it and let it sit for a week. Many rounds since and no crack shows and gun works just like new.I recently fixed a garage door opener coupling(motor to screw) works like a charm, saved us $190 for a new opener.

11. joe kuhn

That's what I did. I won an auction on Auction Arms for $150, $20 shipping, $30 FFL. It's an old field grade with no rib which is what I wanted for the BarraKuhner. Now I have an extra of everything except the receiver. Still will ship the old one back to Rem just to see.

Joe
    joekuhn_2008_030342.jpg

12. joe kuhn

That's what I did. I won an auction on Auction Arms for $150, $20 shipping, $30 FFL. Good learning experience. It's an old field grade with no rib which is what I wanted for the BarraKuhner. Now I have an extra of everything except the receiver. Still will ship the cracked one back to Rem just to see.

Joe
    joekuhn_2008_030342.jpg

13. archangel

archangel Member

I won't laugh at the jb weld fix the stuff works. I've fixed many things with it from knobs to leaks an they stay fixed.

14. riggs

riggs Member

this is a common problem with early guns 870s and 1100s you could contact
    Remington but I'm quite sure they don't have any receivers they are different
    than the new ones. Never seen one crack like that be carefull

Riggs

15. joe kuhn

Will not be shooting it any longer. I'd take a new style receiver as long as the old slides will work. Will note on repair form. Do you know if a new one can be subbed in?

Thanks,
    Joe

16. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

A very respected natinally known gunsmith looked at my Remington tb cracked receiver in 1976 and told me to keep on shooting the gun as nothing will happen. He said sure he can fix it, but your just waisting money. He assured me that the gun will not blow up and it was safe to shoot. The crack has increased a bit but is still doing it's job. In fact, in the early 80's I shot with a guy who ran 100 straight one day and he noticed his receiver now had a hairline crack. I told him to keep on shooting the gun. He sold the entire gun to me after the shoot for $75.00.
    Steve Balistreri

17. Fowlgunner

Fowlgunner Member

I've got one too.

Tried the hole drilling but, of course, the inside crack did not paralell the outside and it continues to grow.

Welcome to the club!

Will

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I would not shoot that gun the crack is at both ends, top of reciever could peel back, Send the reciever to Remington for a replacement.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. archangel

archangel Member

I guess the question is will remington replace a 30 year old receiver from a fairly unused gun. My crack is not as big as Joe,s and is only in the one spot. I'm leaning towards drilling as I do it every day- and either buying a second 870 or a receiver
    - mike

20. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Remington refused to replace my cracked 870 Competition receiver. Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

870 competition cracked receiver

870 competition trap crack inreciever

870 receivercracks