1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by davedolli, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davedolli

davedolli TS Member

I am getting an early 16 ga 2 3/4, and I was wondering if the receiver was the same as the 12 ga. I was hoping I could use a 12ga 2 3/4 barrel on it, and shoot 12 ga. Just a thought.
    Thanks for helping. Dave

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

When I first started trap shooting I purchased an 870 tb. A few months later I was at a gun show and a dealer had an 870 on the rack with no tag on it. It was in very good condition and I got the gun for a good price. I went to the local gun club to shoot it and I put my 12 gauge shell in the gun and it would not fit. I took the gun into the gun club and I saw a friend who is a gunsmith. He took the gun a part, and on the back of the bolt it said 16ga. I never made that mistake again. I didn't ask what gauge the gun was, nor did the seller offer to say it was a 16 gauge. You live and learn. Nothing on the gun was marked 16 gauge, accept on the back of the bolt. It looked and felt exactly like a 12 gauge.
    Steve Balistreri

4. davedolli

davedolli TS Member

Thanks for the info, I didn't think it would work, just wanted some info.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.