1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 question from a newbie

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by windyflat, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windyflat

windyflat Member

Hey All
    New to shooting and the sport of trap shooting so i need some help. Bought an 870 express w/28" barrel and a field stock as my first gun then decided to try my hand at shooting trap so lets just say I had a bad day.....
    After that evening of fun and 8/25 I patterned my gun at 25 yards and found my gun consistently shooting VERY low with the field stock.
    I changed my field stock to a monte carlo and at 25 yards I'm getting an 80/20 pattern with a full choke.
    My question for you guys and gals is after the 25 yard pattern shot i moved up to 16 yards and found that if I floated the fixed target 1/8"-1/4" above the bead i hammered it but how should I point at a moving bird? Float it or just touch it with the bead.
    Any help would be great.. and again please forgive my ignorance... I've only shot 200 rounds in my entire life.
    Thanks
    Tom

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

For someone who has only shot 200 rds of trap you sure have the lingo and procedures down pat. Unfortunatly i can't answer your question.---Matt

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Try this......have someone set the trap to throw only straight out from Post 3. Then try different "floats" to find which crushes clays. That is probably the quickest way to find what your looking for. Personally, I like to just float them enough to see them over the barrel. When your comfortable with this, then move to Posts 2 & 4, then 1 & 5 doing the same thing. This will ease you into the quartering angle shots.

If you try to just shoot a round of Trap, starting at Post1, you may never find your "comfort" zone with gun pointing. HTH.

AndyH ;-)

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

First Welcome to the Game . It sounds like your doing very well for the time being . With practice you will forget all about Aiming-Pointing and Floating the target and just shoot it . 80/20 is a good start and after 1000 or 2000 targets you will be shooting without thinking about anything but the target .

Have fun and be safe ALF

5. windyflat

windyflat Member

Thanks guys...
    been lurking here for a few weeks reading everything i can... figured i better ask a question sooner or later.
    Thanks for the advice
    Tom

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I started with a 870 exspress myself. they are a flat shoot'n do all gun. Also why they only come with a mod choke for use with just about anything from slug to turkey loads. Try just keeping your eyes on the target and follow through for now.

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

i have been shooting 870's for numerous years. this is what i do when i purchase new 870's. i pattern the gun, i am looking how high it shoots and if it is shooting straight. if it is shooting straight, great. i like to touch the bottom of the target for 16yd and handicap shooting. if my gone shoots a little high where i have to float the target, i get a piece of cardboard from a box of shells and take off the stock and take the metal plate and trace it on the cardboard. i than cut off the top of the traced cardboard from the round hole up and place that piece in front of the metal plate, than put the stock back on the gun. by doing this you have just lowered your poi, point of impact. take the gun back to the pattern board and your gun should shoot about 3 inches lower. what is great about 870's, 1100's, any gun that the stock seats up against the receiver is with a piece of cardboard, you can get this gun to shoot exactly how you like it to shoot. good luck to you.
    steve balistreri

8. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Start on station 3 until you get better- KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on the stock- float the bird abit above the front bead and whack it. I shot an 870 TA trap for trap and skeet-for years(all i could afford) and did just as good as the big name gun shooters

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

If your gun is shooting 80/20, just keep the front bead below and in front of the bird. Keep you barrel moving and your head glued to the stock. Wayne

10. windyflat

windyflat Member

Well I shot my first competition today (Mumford NY) and no Tommy Tucker did not win but I was pleased with the outcome!
    First round a 9...... Once I figured out where to put the bird I shot 21,22 and finished up with 19 for a total of 71. Yeah it was likely the worst score today but i learned a bunch so it was worth every penny of the entry fee plus I got to meet some awful nice folks..
    Wrote down some things I feel I need to work on this week so I'm looking forward to wed night. Matt.. I wish i had 200 rounds of trap under my belt. I meant to say I've only fired a gun 200 times in my entire life now 300 after today. Wish I would have been introduced to it earlier in life cause man it sure is fun!!!!!!
    Tom
    PS Thanks everyone at the Mumford sportsman club for pointing me in the right direction.

11. senior smoke

Mr. Tucker, here is a story that an old timer once told me the very first year i started shooting. a new shooter like yourself went up to an old AA, 27 yd shooter and said " I wish someday i could be a AA 27 yd shooter like yourself. the old timer told him "shooting in class AA is like pissing your pants in a dark blue suit. young shooter said what do you mean? he said if you break a 90 in the 16 yd event, almost everyone at the club will congratulate you, and say job well done. being a AA shooter, if i break a 99, it feels good, but no one notices. like i said being in class AA is like pissing your pants in a dark blue suit, feels good, but no one notices.
    good luck to you,
    steve balistreri

12. windyflat

windyflat Member

Hello Steve
    I had fun today and hope to do better next time.
    Take care
    Tom

13. windyflat

windyflat Member

Thanks!

14. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

My 870 with a field stock smokes 'em when I don't mount the gun too high, bring my head down to the stock, and keep the bead just under the bird.

Find an extended forearm.

15. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

First tournament, West Quincy, MO, shooting a TB Remington. Ran 24 straight in the first half of 16 yards and watched the 25th bird sail all the way to the ground. Tournament director approached me before the start of the next rouind...."let another one like that go and I'll stuff that pretty gun up your a.....". I got the last 24, missed the first one. Then ran 48 from 25 yards in the handicapp.

Point....do your best. Gun don't matter. It ain't the gun, it is the shooter. I'm not the best, far from it but when I'm on, I do pretty well as long as I don't think

You can overanalyze. If it works, don't fix it. If it don't work, try it again. If it still don't work, fix it a little.

16. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

You can shoot a field grade gun just as effectively as a trap gun. It's all in what you get used to shooting, after some time you'll move to a trap gun but you'll need to determine when to pull the triger with each gun you shoot, as it will be different. I have several trap guns and the trigger pull point is different for each.

17. senior smoke

trapboy1957- i told luther what you said about the dark blue suit. he said shrink it and shorten the pant legs and let you use it.
    steve

18. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Love the 870 TB/TC's...way back when (early 70's) I broke my first 100 in singles and followed with a 95 in handicap in some serious wind to claim the Maynard Henry medal I was shooting my 870. It was with great delight that I parked my 870 proudly between a Perazzi and a Kreighoff that day. Comments like "gee you shoot that Rem well, you should try (insert P, K gun here) and you will break more targets". Right. Maybe they never knew or heard of guys like Rudy Etchen, Vic Reinders, Elgin Gates, or even Steve Carmichael when he was killing targets with his 1100. The 870 will do it's job if you do yours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.