1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sliverbulletexpress, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

This should be an easy one I should know what this is but I'm having a senior moment or something. My 870 has gotten stiff to pump back just about the last 2-3 inches of travel loaded unloaded don't matter. It's an old wingmaster I've had forever and I thought I knew how to fix about anything on it but this have me puzzled can't see anything obviously wrong. Probably right in front of my nose. HELP!

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Do a complete tear down and scrub out any crud in the slide areas and lighty lube with Breakfree CLP. Inspect the action bars to be sure they're not warped or bent.

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

sliverbulletexpress:

I have had this problem before.

On my 870 TC, the nut that controls the attachment of the action bars to the fore end has become slightly loose. The action bars thus are not true to their intended path into the receiver. The action bars may seem to be firmly attached to the fore end but, in truth, they are slightly canted.

On my 870, I simply loosen the retaining nut, true up the action bars and retighten the retaining nut. A small amount of Kroil on each of the action bars and a dab on the magazine tube is then applied before I reassemble the 870.

Works for me.

I do not have an 870 fore end tool. What I use is a piece of steel 1 1/8" long and about 1/8" thick that I hold in the jaws of a vice grip pliers.

I have thought about putting a little lock-tite on the threads of the retaining bolt but have held off as simply retightening the nut before every shoot works for me.

As Tron says, a thorough cleaning may also be required.

Ed Ward

4. roger stoddard

roger stoddard TS Member

As school teacher says, it may be a loose forearm nut. Try dropping the trigger group out and thereby eliminating anything there. If it still binds you will know it's your action bars. I also made a nut wrench, used a piece of 1/8" x 1 1/2 angle iron cut with a hacksaw to the right size. I tighten mine every year or so. Glad to hear there are still some 870 shooters out there! Good luck and good shooting, Roger

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Another vote for the loose forearm nut and as per Tron clean 1st use solvent Q-tips and a dental pick get-er-clean, check for bent-broken or warped action bars. Then as per schoolteacher & Roger S. leave the trigger assembly out while checking. If it works slick without the trigger assembly now you know where to look, the hammer is binding on something when it has to go all the way down. I took an old socket that just fit inside the forearm over to the grinder and made my own "wrench". Good Luck --Ross Puls

6. goony

goony Active Member

Broken forearm tube. Take the forearm off of the tube/action bars and look at the portion of the tube closest to the action and see if it has not developed a small crack. When it cracks it puts the tube in a bind. The one on my 1966 870 broke after about 20,000 rounds and I saw several others broken at the PD I worked for. Just a thought.

7. Danny870

Danny870 Member

also check your ejector spring .to make shore it has not broken off and jamed up in the back

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.