Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

870 problem

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Heckyea 
#1 ·
My 870 has failed to eject the shell at least 3 times recently. Is it just dirty or is there a part I need to replace?

#5 ·
I have an 870 from 1972, TB, been shooting it heavily since then, hundreds of thousands of rounds in total.....only recently has it been leaving a shell in the chamber every now and then...and then only Kemen or Dianas. I did note that the hook on the extractor has rounded somewhat so I have a new one ready to install if I ever shoot them Spanish shells again. Never an ejection problem, just gettin' them to the point where they'll bump the ejector.

Check your extractor hook...should be sharp and square.

Ditto what was said on the steel bases.

#6 ·
I have had to replace action bars on an 870 due to difficult ejection of steel cased hulls.

This happens with both new and reloaded hulls, even though the reloads are properly resized so that they feed and chamber easily. After firing, steel cased hulls often seem to become stuck in the chamber and require force to eject.

Sometimes, I can gently work the slide a few times and they would eject.

The best advice is to shoot new or reloaded brass cased hulls.

Ed Ward

#8 ·
I would check the extractor as is mentioned above and also check the ejector on the left side of the receiver. Sticking shells can also be caused by a dirty or rusty chamber. I have shot 870's for years with brass and steel headed hulls and have never experienced any ejection problems.

Phil

#9 ·
Take you barrel off and get a green scotch brite pad and drill and polish the chamber. I done that for 2 guys and they dont have a problem with the steel heads. If you are going to shoot several hundred a day would get a can of silicon spray and wipe the chamber sometimes rick

#10 ·
Yep, it was the cheap Diana loads. I brought out some new Remington Gun Clubs and didn't have any problems. I guess right now the Gun Clubs are the cheapest with the Dick's Remington rebate, and they are better shells than some of the others. A gun store is offering Wolf ammo for $80 a case, while at Dick's you can get Gun clubs for $50 a case (counting the rebate).

#11 ·
I don't think spraying a chamber with silicone is necessarily a good thing safety wise. We were always taught that for safety a dry clean chamber is the best thing as you want the shell to "adhere" to the chamber walls during ignition and not be slamming back against the bolt face which increases head thrust (I'm talking rifles and pistols here but it should be the same for shotguns). Clean polished chambers, dry, should offer no problems with extraction if the hook is sharp and the spring is strong. I did wonder about the old waxed paper cases and if they increased head thrust. Maybe I thought too much about stuff like that and not enough about where to put the bead...

#12 ·
I shoot 870s and have a barrel I shoot doubles with that have over
300,000 rounds through it. I had the same troube as you are haveing
with cheap shells hanging in the chamber. found the problem was
wear in the chamber where the base hits. If this is the problem you
will be able to feel the wear with your finger.
the steel base swells and sticks in belled chamber.
I fixed mine by honeing the chamber until the wear was gone. Miked the
chamber to make sure it was still within specs. Works.

I think the cheap shells cause a lot more of this type chamber wear then
brass based shells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.