1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Jamming

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John Beiser, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Beiser

John Beiser TS Member

I have a remington 870 express that I went out to shoot this weekend. It wont eject the spent shell after I shoot. It will come back about an inch and a half or so and then just stop. Not sure if I did something when I put it back together after cleaning or what. I thought it might of just been dirty so I cleaned it and put it back together but it is still doing the same thing. Any advise would be helpful.

2. nrasmus

nrasmus Member

What shells are you shooting through it?

Most 870's I have shot have been real picky to cheap low brass or steel head hulls.

Does the action operate smoothly without a shell in it?

Nick

3. John Beiser

John Beiser TS Member

I am shooting winchest AA 7 1/2 shot factory loads. The action operates smoothly with no shell in it. I have shot probably 100 or so rounds with no problems but I have cleaned it in between then and when I had problems.

4. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

maybe the brass has split on the hull causing the hang up. I'd pull the trigger group out and then take it apart from there. Seems alittle of the new AA's are splitting in my neck of the woods. keith

5. 333t

333t Member

Try an empty shell with the trigger group removed. This may help isolate the problem.

Phil

6. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Does the chamber need to be polished with a brush chucked in a drill?

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I sell them but haven't worked on them but I had several returned and had to be sent back to Remington for that reason. It happened with new hulls and some reloads. Contact Remington with the 800 number and see what they tell you. Jackie B.

8. k newman

k newman TS Member

870 expresses are reknown for this problem. I sent one back to the factory and it came back still doing it. I used info on shotgunworld and took matters into my own hands. DoubleAuto has the right answer -- polish the chamber and the bars - with a drill, your hands can't get it. Then, it goes away.

I tried cheap ammo, expensive ammo and nothing worked until I did this.

9. 333t

333t Member

John:

I would check hull extraction with the trigger group out, just to make sure it isn't hammer related. I have several 870's and experienced a similar problem once. The problem was that there were some rough and uneven edges where the end of the barrel extension mates with the top of the receiver. In my case, the barrel extension was a little shallower than the notch in the receiver and this created a small step. The rim of the shell would hit this step and stop extraction every time. If you have this problem you can just round off the edge of receiver cut with a small file or stone and it should cure it. If this is the issue, you will be able to see the shell stop there and feel the step with your finger.

Phil

10. 9103997

9103997 TS Member

Need to send it back to Remington . I bought an 870 express magnum and the extractor had to be replaced . Also took it to a gun smith and he had to hone the barrel . Even after I still had to shoot Remington shells . In the end I bought a trap barrel and had no other problems . The new 870 are notorious for this problem . Mine broke the extractor With the first shot .

11. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

The gray sanding pads that you can get at sherwin williams or a auto paint store work good. I wrap around a smaller cleaning brush and use wd40. It also does a good fast job on the choke to keep the plastic from building up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.