1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Jam

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shipbuilder, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

This morning was our last day of duck season, about 25 deg plenty of ducks. I was shooting a 1962 vintage 2 3/4 870 that I have shot for 50 years with no problems.

Loaded it with #4 Hevi Shot for first two shots and a black hulled Remington 1 1/8 #2 steel for the 3rd, normally use these for shooting cripples. We knocked down a pair of Gadwalls and I fired the 3rd shot at one that had its head up. The slide would not open after the 3rd shot.

I could not clear the jam in the field in spite of removing the trigger group. When I got home I was able to clear it with a cleaning rod.The black hulled Remington was about 5 years old and had been wet numerous times. Showed some rust on the brass but nothing heavy and nothing I have not shot before.

Anyone had anything similar? Guess its time to dispose of the old shells.

Jim

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Steel hull base.

3. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Yes, steel hull base expands in the chamber and will not allow extraction. Common problem....thoroughly clean (scrub and polish) barrel chamber and avoid steel based shells. Best Regards, Ed

4. Rem 1100

Rem 1100 Member

Is your gun a full choke? Probably created excess pressure with the steel shot load on that last shot which caused the case to stick? I've heard you shouldn't shoot steel through a fixed full choke.

Just a guess on my end

Good luck

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

rem has it never shoot steel in old fix ch and its hard to find not steel heads at cheap price

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.