1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 hammer and bolt issues w/ photos

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by bonzai272, Jan 8, 2017.

1. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Hey gang. I had an issue with my 870 today where it wouldn't fire, so I had to switch guns to finish the event.

Now that I'm home, it seems to be working fine with snap caps, odd! However, I took it apart and found a dent in the face of the hammer, circled in red in the photos. I also found an odd shaped hole in the bolt that I cant imagine is supposed to be there but I also cant see how it got there. It is also circled in red in the photo.

Can anyone confirm the bolt hole issue? I'm guessing I should replace it and also replace the hammer?

Thanks, all!

IMG_0538.JPG IMG_0540.JPG IMG_0544.JPG

2. nitro27man

nitro27man Well-Known Member

The hammer wear is not unheard of; just shows a lot of shots. If you want another one, I have some.

The hole in the bolt is supposed to be there. Both the 870 and 1100 bolts have it.

Scott Hanes

3. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

lets see a picture of the other face of the bolt. I would replace the hammer, the hammer spring and the fring pin spring. I agree that it has a lot of use

4. nitro27man

Agree on the spring replacement along with the hammer. Also check the hammer plunger (the metal cylinder with the hole in it that pushes the hammer forward) to see if there is a groove worn in it.

Scott Hanes

5. nitro27man

PM sent to bonzai272

6. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Thank you both for the quick replies. Im going to replace the hammer and the springs as suggested. My Dad has a spare hammer he said I can have. No groove in the hammer plunger, just polished a bit from contact with the hammer is all.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The hole you see is just the edge of the hole when Remington drilled the hole for the extractor.