1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 fixed choke barrel question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shrek, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shrek

shrek Active Member

Does any one here know the actual amount of constriction on the older fixed choke barrels marked "mod trap", or the approximate constriction they are supposed to be?

thanks

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

shrek- i have had two mod trap barrels over the years, they were both choked a little tighter than the field mod barrel. the two i had were in the lower 20's, can't remember the exact amount though. these were nice barrels, the only thing i didn't like was they were both 28 inches in my case, instead of 30. i have heard remington once made a fixed choke imp mod trap barrel but i have never actually seen one.
    steve balistreri

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

shrek- i have had two mod trap barrels over the years, they were both choked a little tighter than the field mod barrel. the two i had were in the lower 20's, can't remember the exact amount though. these were nice barrels, the only thing i didn't like was they were both 28 inches in my case, instead of 30. i have heard remington once made a fixed choke imp mod trap barrel but i have never actually seen one.
    steve balistreri

4. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

I have a flat rib fixed choke 1100 trap barrel marked Modif. Trap that measures .710/.712 which would be .020/.018 constriction. Its off an early model 1100 trapgun.

5. shrek

shrek Active Member

thanks guys.

I seem to recall seeing some place that they were somewhat tighter than field barrels, but not sure how much.

I have an older 30" fixed choke that has the full marking x'ed out and imp. mod stamped on it nice and neatly, not sure who did it, I had the barrel measured and the bore measured .735 and the choke was .035.

Since many of the old fixed choke full barrels were 0.040 of choke someone must have figured 0.005 less was improved mod?

I will get the mod trap barrel measured next time I go to the one gun shop that has one of this instruments.

6. shrek

shrek Active Member

P3AT,

I knew that, but also shared what that barrel measured.

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Here's my two cents worth. I have three 870 trap barrels, all fixed choke. One is on my late brother's 870 TC, labeled "modified trap" and it measures .710 at the parallel which with the .729 bore give it .019" of constriction. I have another 870 trap barrel, also labelled "modified trap" and it measures .715, giving it .015" of constriction. My old, resurrected cracked receiver, much used TB has a full choke barrel and it measures .690 for a whopping .039" of choke.

My TB, now with a new receiver and all the old parts, barrel, trigger, stock, forend, still makes ink balls when I do my part. My brother's gun seems to be close. My Mod Trap barrel gives nice even breaks, no smokeballs but good solid breaks and I wouldn't be afraid to use it to twenty three or so yards but feel so confident with my old TB I don't use it much.

Hope it helps.

8. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Shot both this morning...the mod TC of late brother's, and my full choke TB. Couldn't see any difference in the breaks and 32 yard patterns were quite similar in shape and appearance but without counting holes I can't give percentages. Both gave great shattering breaks with 8s from 18 yards, the full a little more definite but nothing to sneer at with the mod. Same shells, same shooter...missed one out of each round, my fault.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fixed choke 870 trap barrel