1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 failure to fire question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Towards the end of the night I had 3 failure to fires. I heard the hammer fall but the gun didn't go off. Looked at the primers each time and they were not dented at all. Put the shells back in and they each went off.

Thought the action might not have been closed all the way, but the hammer won't fall then. Shells were new.

Firing pin and spring look fine. Noticed a divot in the hammer where it hits the firing pin.

Time for a new hammer or the whole trigger assembly?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Check the firing pin. If the head is rounded, it is an old style. Get the new style with the flat head.

When the gun gets a lot of miles, the hammer pin wears, allowing lateral movement and then the hammer can slip around the pin, generating a light/no strike.

If the hammer has a slight blemish, slick it up with a file and try the new pin.

3. BT99

BT99 Member

I would vote for a firing pin return spring at this time.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Some firing pin return springs will wind around itself making it hard to see unless you take the pin out. That's the first thing I'd check like BT99 says.

Hap

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If the gun has an old firing pin, it likely has the old style spring. This should be replaced whether it is broken or not. The old style spring WILL tie up the pin if it breaks.

Since a hammer blemish was found, I figured that the gun was inspected for broken parts. If no broken parts are found, the old pin will give mystery misfires.

When I perform a service on the 1100/870, the old style pin/spring gets replaced as a routine matter.

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I am with Hap on this one, seen it many times.

Dr.longshot

7. joe kuhn

Spring is broken. Thanks guys.

Joe

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Joe--Have you had any trigger work done on that gun? If you haven't it would be worth your money to have a trigger job. You'd fall in love with a good trigger. That goes with any gun.

9. joe kuhn

Yes, I did have the trigger tuned by a gunsmith and it works nicely. Thanks.

So I took the firing pin out and discovered the spring was broken. New one is on order from Miday USA. Guy from the club may keep me shooting tonight with a loaner.

You guys are great. Thanks. I learn something new every day here.

Joe

10. pillroler

pillroler TS Member

If new spring does not solve problem, check the forearm making sure the retaing cap screw at the end is tight. If this works loose the gun will/can fail to fire

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.