1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 eye candy!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by atra_service, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atra_service

atra_service TS Member

Hope these pictures work. I wanna plug my dad's work here for a minute. I sure wish I had a before and after picture of this gun. This gun is my "OLD" 870 TB trap. My dad bought me this gun when I was 13 and it was used then. I'd hate to guess how many shells I've shot through this gun. My dad took it apart and refinished the stock and forearm and installed the Graco hardware you see here. Also put a kickeez pad on. He's just getting started in doing stock-work so tell me what ya think!!

Jeremy

2. atra_service

atra_service TS Member

3. atra_service

atra_service TS Member

4. atra_service

atra_service TS Member

[​IMG]

B&G stockworks. Specializing in adjustable combs, recoil pads and refinishing.
    Call 620-569-2479 ask for Benny

Thanks,
    Jeremy

5. atra_service

atra_service TS Member

6. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

Truthfully, there is too much orange peel in the finish, the checkering is full of whatever he sprayed, the recoil pad looks poorly fit and the comb looks like there is a LOT of wood missing. You would see what I am referencing if you put the comb down to the bottom of the posts.

Sorry, you asked for input.

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Jeremy:
    Your father did a real nice job. I did one myself and it did not look half as good as yours.
    Steve Balistreri

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jeremy.... Honest evaluations are few and far between on this site, so here is mine. I have to agree with Eric's post. It does look very nice for a home done project, and you and your dad have every right to be proud of it. However, that being said, you need to understand that if you're going to do this as a profession, either part time or full time, you will have to step it up quite a bit. There are many stock finishers that do this type of work, and to be competitive, they MUST produce the very best job at a very reasonable cost. While this may not be the feedback you are looking for, it is an accurate, and honest, assessment of the job shown in the pictures. To be really successfull at this type of work it takes practice, practice, practice. If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it.... Just my opinion... Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Dan and Eric both nailed it. :)

10. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

As an act of love your fathers work is flawless.

Robert

11. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Damn GOOD Job!!

12. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Eye candy no, poke in the eye, no. It's on it's way to being a real nice job. The finish needs to be polished to get rid of the orange peel effect and the checkering needs to be recut. Checkering serves two purposes, one for decoration and two for grip, it will loose it effectiveness for grip. Don't get me wrong, I am just trying to add constructive critisizem (sp) as I am sure it looks 100% better than before. My first refinish was not as nice.

Dave

13. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have to agree with Dave. The stock needs a little more work.
    John

14. atra_service

atra_service TS Member

What do you recommend for a polishing compound?? Orange peel?? I'm not sure about that since it was finished in clear with no stain just natural wood color.

15. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

Orange Peel is the very slight dimpling effect you can see in the finish. Looks like an orange peel. Wet sand with 1200 grit. After that, use a polishing compound to get the shine back.

16. gordy h

gordy h Member

Try Tru oil 15 to 20 coats lightly steel wool (0000) in between coats,
    Keep up the good work. Butch H

17. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

RobertT Couldn't have said it better my self!!

I like what money can buy BUT I love what money can't buy!!

I'd be proud to own that gun

18. Gabe

Gabe Member

Jeramy, that's not too bad, but when you finish a stock tape the checkering up to keep from filling it with finish. Before you pull it off after you're done take an exacto knife and trace around the tape so you don't pull the finish up when you peel the tape off. Always sand the stock with the pad on it. Keeps from rounding the back of the stock. I like to use a spray on finish. If you fill the pours it doesn't take as many coaats to get a slick finish on the wood. I don't use steel wool between coats, it contains oil which could contaminate the next layer of finish you put on, also the very fine pieces of steel wool could hang on the poors of the wood and over time will show up in the finish. Some 600 wet dry works good for me. The final coat usually gets wet sanded with 1500, sometimes 2000 wet dry. Final buffing is done with either some 3F or 5F rubbing compound from Brownell's. Brownell's pretty much sells what you need. A single line cutter to clean up the checkering, recoil pad fitting jigs,ect. The sand paper can be found at most any auto paint supply place. Keep up the good work. The more you do the better you will get. Hope this helps.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

@BigDave1200,

If you notice the checkering that you say needs to be recut----it can't be. It is Remingtons famous "Pressed Checkering" The only way to repair it is to strip the finish and start over.

@Jeremy,
    Good first project with room for lots of improvment. That improvment comes with time and experience.

Chuck

20. high 2

high 2 Member

Chuck, they can be. It`s the only way I`ll do them. You can take a single line cutter and turn the pressed into cut. It`s a pain, but it can be done. There are a few on here I`ve done them for.
    As far as the finish, the best way to get rid of the orange peel is to wet sand and buff as Gabe stated. Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

b&g stockworks

recut pressed checkering