1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 doesn't like reloads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jdsfarms, Dec 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

870 doesn

I just traded for an 870 Classic trap for a young shooter,the gun is in new condition and fires factory loads flawlessly but when we tried my reloads either the shells would eject very hard or the action would not close completely and the gun wouldn't fire.Is there an easy fix for this or is it just the nature of the beast.I use Gun club hulls 16.8 gr.promo,cheddite primer,lime green xl dowrange wad and 1oz shot loaded on a 366 press and I run them through the size die.My reloads work flawlessly through my browning gold sporting clays gun and my model 12 any ideas.Jerry

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Your resizer might need some adjustment. My 870 does not have a problem with reloads at all. Thats all I shoot in it. I have a 9000g loader and I load STS hulls.

3. honorable mention

honorable mention TS Member

Probable nothing wrong with your reloader.
    I experienced the same problem with a barrel I had built by Simmons.
    The chamber was slightly under cut making the rim recess a bit shallow.
    I corrected the problem with a rim cutter--only required a few thous.
    you can check the depth of the rim by using a factory shell and comparing with a reload (first remove the barrel from the gun); if my guess is correct the reload will not be seated as deep as the factory.
    Warren J Roberts

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

The problem involves the sizing of the steel heads on your Gun Club reloaded hulls...and may also be related to dirty/rusted chamber in your 870. This is a common problem. I have had the same problem with a 20 ga. 870 and a Beretta 391. First, clean/scrub the heck out of the 870 chamber - use 0000 steel wool and lots of elbow grease. Second, make sure to really resize your Gun Club hulls before you reload them. The Gun Club hulls have steel heads which spring out as they are fired and resist being sized down. Take the barrel off your 870 and drop your reloads in the chamber...they should go in and drop out easily. After firing, the hulls may be difficult to extract...this is why I quit fooling with Gun Club hulls for reloading and now only use Remington STS hulls which have brass heads. Best Regards, Ed

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Is a ring sizer with steel head ammo a problem?

6. jdsfarms

Warren your assessment was right on,and I am guessing the steel head on the gun club hulls are not helping.Some gold medal hulls I loaded in the same loader worked better but not as good as factory rounds and they were steel rimmed Rios.

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I also load with a( Hornady--Pacific-- Bair-- D.L.) they are all the same,, I load G.C.s & the black field loads & STS, & seem to get just as long life out of the G.C.s as anything else. I too use different guns so resizing is a must for me also. double check your resizer & make sure it is going all the way down when you are at the end of your stroke, a very small adjustment was all it took on my machines. depending on individual chambers & chamber pressures extraction may still be a little harder with any steel heads (may be brass plated) check with a magnet if in doubt. as noted above clean the chamber VERY WELL. another thing i do with steel heads is to lube them, makes them slip through the resizer much easier, & probably helps with extraction too.
    Hope i was of some help,,,, Ross

8. RRA

RRA TS Member

A young kid who shoots at our local club shoots a 870. He was having the same problem with factory loads. He contacted Remington and they sent him a new barrel. Talk about winning a Remington fan for a lifetime...

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Hone and polish the chamber.

10. jdsfarms

Tron,Like with a brake cylinder hone or is there a better tool for the job?

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

First eliminate your resizer as a problem. Shot a few new factory shells and then shoot a few reloads. If the factory shells work and the reloads do not, that would point to the resizer. Next, test reloads with brass heads and steel heads. If the brass headed reloads work and the steel reloads do not, that would suggest an over sized chamber. If the factory and reloaded brass and steel heads all stick in the chamber, honing the chamber might be the solution.

I would not use a brake cylinder hone. I have polished champers with a cloth chamber brush, light grease and a polishing compound.

Pat Ireland

12. Tron

A brake cylinder hone (fine stone), with honing oil followed by a tornado or similar brush. Common problem with 870's.

13. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Tron....common with 1100's too??

14. Tron

No, not that I'm aware of.

15. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Just wondering as I had an 1100 yrs ago that was very picky with Reloads, I finally sold it for that reason... and I DID resize.

16. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

You may try to locate someone close who has a Mec supersizer and give that a try. It will take the steel head back to original size. Worked for me.

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

All the Remington's I've owned had tighter chambers than most shotguns. I was ok when shooting new shells in them and reloading the same hulls. If I got my model 12 hulls in the mix, they wouldn't chamber every time either. I think Ljutics have tight chambers also.

Hap

18. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I think all shells have steel heads, some are just brass colored.. I could be wrong...

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

All the US made premium shells still use brass bases. Win. AA's, Rem. Premiers and Federal papers and Gold Medals.

I don't know what Fiocci uses but I think their hulls come pre-primed from Italy. It's been a while since I was in their plant.

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

HMMMMM.... I have loaded and fired several hundred thousand shells through Remington 870 12ga and 28ga and I have never had this issue. One thing every reload had in common was that it had been sized in a Mec supersizer type sizer. The collet/ crush type sizer just seems to work perfect for me in all the guns I own from doubles to autos. I suspect that this is a steel base issue but a reloader issue as well. Either the loader will not resize a steel hull to the factory tolerance or it needs to be adjusted properly. I have friends that load on 366's and use Gunclubs and they seem to have good luck. let's hope it is an adjustment issue. It's nice to load them as they are free for the taking and will last just as long as STS hulls. Good luck... Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.