1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Date question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fishguts, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishguts

fishguts Member

Would anyone be able to give me the date of a serial no. for a Rem.870 12ga. shotgun? #3684V...barrel no. and receiver match, there are no choke markings, 28" barrel, or a site to look it up?

Thank-You,

Wayne

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If you give me the two-letter code from the rear of the left side of the barrel, I can tell you when the BARREL was made. If it is the original barrel for the gun, that will be the date you want.

ED

3. fishguts

fishguts Member

Ed,...C W W

Wayne

4. 333t

333t Member

The V designates 12 gauge. A four digit ser. no. would be the first year of production, 1950, possibly late 1949.

Phil

5. fishguts

fishguts Member

UP

Thanks

6. fishguts

fishguts Member

Would the code on the barrel mean month/year of production? So "CWW" would mean April, 1950 according to Rem. Historical records,..I guess. Why is there no choke marking?..or is it another secret code?

Wayne

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

OR it could be August of 2002. The number of different possible codes is limited so you have to have some sort of ballpark idea in order to select the right one.

Ed

8. mike b.

mike b. Member

My 1951(cxx) 870 has a 93xxxV serial # and is choke marked. I would assume yours is a 1950 and one of the real early ones. You should be able to figure out the choke without a gauge. mb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.