1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Cracked Reciver

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by NealSS, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NealSS

NealSS Member

I have a TB 870 that has recently cracked behind the bolt . Is this a common problem, If so will Remington fix the crack ?Thanks for any info Neal.

2. Bohemian32

Bohemian32 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Would you mind telling me just where your receiver is cracked at, I have a couple of 870's and I would like to check mine. I do not see any problems with either of my guns. So I was just curious.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

fairly common.

4. PaShooter

PaShooter Member

I shot 870 Comps for years and it seemed to be a common problem. Never really found out what caused it, used to think age but I had one which cracked after less than 1K rounds so that ruined that theory. At one time Remington replaced the receivers, but who knows anymore. The best fix it to take a 1/8 drill bit and stop drill the end of the crack. Not pretty but its a good fix.

Paul H
    Imperial, PA

5. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Your magizine cap is loose, that is what causes it.

Just make a habit of checking it between stations.

I see others making sure the choke tube is tight in between stations, So I make sure my mag cap is tight inbetween stations.

Kenny

6. dzneff

dzneff Member

I had a 870 Competion for several years. The mag cap was always tight. I went through 2 cracked receivers in 2 years. The 1st one, Remington replaced without charge. The 2nd cracked receiver was replaced by Remington at my expense. I then bought another trap gun and sold the Competition with the 3rd receiver in the gun. This was the best fix.

Dennis

7. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I will stand on the line with mine any time, maybe I bought a good one?

I only break 23 out of 25.

PS: Maybe you bought one from somebody that only shot the gun, never checked it?

Kenny

8. hoot619

hoot619 Member

If Kenny would listen to his Dad he could break 25out of 25. I have some
    #12 shot that will get him there. LOL Ken U

9. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence Pops!

Maybe the different years, given a very short production run, has something to do with it.

Some people love them and will never part with them while others have had bad experiences with them.

I happen to like mine, both of them, but maybe i got 2 of 5300+ that were good?

I think maybe reloads and high pressure have a little to do with it, or maybe there might of been a bad press in the factory on some of the runs of production.

There was not just one line running when the guns were manufactured, just like there was not a bad car built next to a good car from the same plant.

Kenny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.