1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Competition, WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BustClays, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BustClays

BustClays Member

Like the fancy skier in the lodge who just talks skiing, I haven't shot trap in about 4 months, but recently purchased a Remington 870 Competition model, single shot pump with the recoil supressor. I first used my trusty BT-99 on the first 50 birds and shot 44/50. I felt I was getting "in-the-groove", so I took out the 870, for the very first time, no pattern board or anything. I figured it would probably shoot flat, so I covered the target, pulled the trigger and followed thru. The birds just completely disappeared, powdered! I shot 47/50, missing two straight-aways that I peeked on and in the last group, 24/25 because I hesitated and flinched on an easy floater, soft right. What a great gun! I will definitely use it often. Thanks to those who advised me to purchase about two weeks ago.

bustclays

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Nothing hits 'em harder than an unmodified 870 Comp, bc, nothing.

When I was doing a lot of chronographing with a variety of guns, the shot would hit the dirt about 30 yards out. Berettas, Perazzis, 870's, they all left path in the dirt. But the 870 Comp produced not so much a path as a line. You could see it every shot. It was amazing.

But do you think it actually kicks less than all the others? I never did.

Neil

3. jimx200

jimx200 Member

FYI, these were introduced at the 1979 Grand and the first shipments hit the dealers in the fall. The were and are the only target shotgun to this day, that Remington had "hand worked" the barrels. Many years ago, one of the Rem. reps said each barrel was initial stamped by the smith who worked/honed/tuned the barrel. And to think I passed on one of these, new in box, about 10 years ago...doh! I wonder if they used a process called "jug choke" or backboring? If anyone knows has more info. on these guns, please post.

4. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I've wanted one for years and am waiting for one that I just bought thats being shipped , It's like new. You just made it harder to wait! Mike.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I shot a 870 comp, clubs gun , for most of 2006 summer league came in first my class. I do think theres a bit less recoil. I shoot 100 with 870 comp no problem 870tb club has gets to me around 80. could just be gun fit also.

6. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

One of my dear departed trapshooting friends (L.C. Boe, from Florida) purchased one of the 870 Comps in the early 80's. Neil, you are right about the patterns, truely a fine shooter. The recoil however was another story. 100 3 drammers through this gun and you felt like you just went 10 rounds with George Foreman! Talk about a beating.

He did, however, keep the gun. It was made into a floor lamp for his den. He drilled through the bolt and stock and threaded a lamp cord through it and fashioned a nice wood base and added a brass socket and shade. It was a cool lamp and he said it would never hurt him again.

I always wondered what happened to the barrel as he did not alter it when he made the lamp.

Have a great day!

Bob Schultz

7. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Bob is that you? If so glad your happy with your Comp. if not I'm =ly happy?

8. BustClays

BustClays Member

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Bob, that's a helluva idea for a floor lamp

I was thiking about doing that to one of my rusted Perazzis - that ought to invoke some conversation at the house.

Whiz

10. Murphy

Murphy Member

What is the 870 comp, did you say single shot, I have and really like my TB trap but not familiar with Copm, cost etc.

11. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Murphy,

They only made them for a couple of years and have been out of production for quite some time now. They are single shot only 870's because the magazine tube houses an recoil reducer. It is a gas operated piston that moves in the opposite direction to help reduce felt recoil.The piston is gas operated by two holes in the barrel lug. These 870's are noticibly heavier than standard 870 trap's. I bought one on this site a couple of months ago and it is a shooter. Factory .741 back-bored and .035" restriction. Turns targets into smoke from the 27! The trigger group will interchange with other 870's, and the stock will as well. The forearms are different and so is the reciever. I've only seen them with 30" barrels. If you get a chance to shoot one, you'll fell the difference.

ec90t

12. mike b.

mike b. Member

Just make sure the 2 tiny gas ports are open and cleaned each use or you'll notice no recoil reduction. No shells other than trap loads or the receiver may split.A target crusher for sure!!

13. Murphy

Murphy Member

what do they cost when they can be found, and WHY did they quit making them.

14. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Murphy,

I have no idea why Remington quit making them, but I believe that they weren't very cost effective to produce.

Indiana Gun Club has one for sale and the price is $695. I haven't seen it so I don't know what condition it is in or any of the paticulars.

They had a bad rep for recievers cracking, but this was addressed by a poster on a different thread and he stated that people were shooting them with a loose barrel(magazine cap not being tight).

ec90t

15. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

The last one I sold was about 4 years ago and sold it for 300.00 and it had a 1'2" added on rib on it.

I agree with Neil about the recoil I have shot some in the past for a short period but I was more satisfied with my TB 870 with a recoil reducer in it.

Ok I won 2 or them in MO in the mid 1980'2 and sold them both around retail I think at the time they was around 350.00 to 400.00 I agree the barrels had to have been done 1 at a time because they had a great choke in them and you couild sling a dime all the way thru from top to bottom of the barrel.

Maybe I should have kept the 300.00 comp 870 a few years ago but I promised another person it if it came up for sale and I was a middle man and made no profit on it.

Foggy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.