1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 competition trap parts help

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Ernesto1, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ernesto1

Ernesto1 Member

0   0   0

Just picked up a 1981 870 competition trap model that was missing a few parts for the recoil reducer system. I need a piston retainer - a little spring thing that inserts in the end of the piston - and a piston ring. I would prefer a new piston ring but could do with a used piston retainer.

Anybody have these items, really appreciate any help?

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I sent you an email. Ray Grimes had some parts, he go's by the name of captin on here and he is a good guy

3. KRK32

KRK32 Member

0   0   0

If you dont want your receiver to crack take out the piston altogether and youll be better off unless the guns going to be a safe queen. Kirk

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Kirk, if you take out the piston, wouldn't you just then have a single shot 870?

Gnew J

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

The 870 comp is already a single shot only. They wont crack if the barrel is on correctly and tight

6. Ernesto1

Ernesto1 Member

0   0   0

Thank you all for your input. Captin was most helpful in supplying the piston spring. I still desperately need the piston retainer buffer. This goes between the piston and piston retainer buffer spacer. It looks like nothing more than a thick washer.

Being mine is missing, does anyone know if it is made of some phenolic or nylon material, steel, etc. also does anyone know the dimension of this buffer so that I can have one made. I'm thinking thickness, outside/inside diameter.

Any help, great thanks. Darryl

7. KRK32

KRK32 Member

0   0   0

I dont wanna argue with anyone but how do you explain so many 870 comps having cracked receivers and you seldom ever see a regular 870 with a crack. The plunger pounds around inside the tube vibrating it and it cracks at the weakest point thats right behind the bolt. Kirk

8. Ernesto1

Ernesto1 Member

0   0   0

Krik,

I know I am not well versed in the intricacies of the 870 comp but if the internal parts of the recoil reduction system are within factory specs shouldn't the vibration that causes these cracks be kept to a minimum?

sorry for the run-on sentence. Darryl

9. 333t

333t Member

0   0   0

The Competition 870 locks up like any other 870. The bolt and barrel extension provide a solid lock. The recoil device is a simple piston and spring. The piston works against the spring and there is nothing in there that slams back hard. If the barrel wasn't absolutely tight, there would be only slight movement of the barrel and this would have no effect on the receiver at the rear of the ejector port. The only cause for a cracked receiver that makes any sense to me would be repeated heavy loads (like some use in games). With heavy loads, there is more force on the bolt which translates to more force downward on the slide as the bolt tries to cam downward. This could conceivably, over time, cause a cracked receiver. I have owned about 4 of these guns over the years and experienced no problems whatsoever. I don't shoot heavy loads however. Other Comp. owners I know haven't had any cracks either. I think the cracking is pretty rare and probably would never occur with standard trap loads.

Phil

10. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

0   0   0

Hi 333t, Great post, amen amen, hit my most 25's with the 870 comp no cracks!!!
    Only use factory 7 1/2's though.

Harry Lyga

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

870 competition parts

remington 870 competition trap parts