1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Competition take-down procedure?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Crunch, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crunch

Crunch Member

Can anyone tell me how to take an 870 Competition apart? Any special procedures or tools needed? Does the barrel just release after removing the nut? thanks, Crunch

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Yes, the bbl releases after you remove the nut. Be careful when you remove the bbl as the spring inside will pop out and roll under the nearest immovable object. To properly remove the forend, get one of the dedicated for end removal tools from Brownells. money well spent for any 870 owner.`

3. Crunch

Crunch Member

Are you referring to a "Competition" model 870? It is different from a regular 870 in that it has an internal gas system. The one I'm working on does not release the barrel after the nut is removed. I'm wondering if I am missing latch or turnscrew or something I need to do in order to release the barrel and get at the gas system.

4. gunsnrods

gunsnrods Member

The competition comes apart different than a std 870. Slide the bolt 1/2 back, remove the forend cap and wiggle the barrel forward...spring will move forward if not gummed up. Careful! The forend will slide right off with bolt and carrier..this is different than other 870s! Barrel is likely stuck due to gunk in gas system or the spring..it will come apart easily when clean and oiled. mk

5. rmctaggart

rmctaggart TS Member

send me a e-mail and i will send back a comp. manual others on here have sent to me it will help and is free. bob mctaggart

6. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

If you removed the mag cap and the barrel does not want to budge, it needs a good cleaning.

Grab the barrel and pull up while gently tapping the recoil pad on the ground to give it a lil nudge. A straight up and down nudge- not sideways- ( if that needs to be stated)

The spring may pop out when the barrel comes free or be stuck in the grime.

The bolt will come out with the forearm unlike a regular 870.

Kenny U.

7. Crunch

Crunch Member

Thanks guys

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Upon reassembly, it is important to align the notch in the magazine cap's floating insert with the pin through the forward end of the recoil system piston or the cap won't tighten fully.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.