1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Competition question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AveragEd, Jul 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The end of the recoil system weight (or piston, it's correct name) that faces the muzzle has a retention pin through it - the notch is there to clear that pin.

Ed

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

AverageEd: How can that be,on my 870 Comp the piston & that pin are free to rotate? Ross Puls

3. RichardCurtis

RichardCurtis TS Member

Wayne

Make sure you keep the cap tight, in my opinion, that cap being loose causes the receiver to crack. Over years past when I shot them a lot never had one receiver crack.

RC

4. AveragEd

You're right, Ross - and the cap's insert is notched so it can be lined up with the pin and rotate with it. I've seen some Comps with a standard 870 cap and they still work okay but I have no idea for how long.

Ed

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmmm! Guess the next time I take the Comp out I'd better check that, obviously I don't get it out very often. Thanks Ed. Ross Puls

6. AveragEd

I don't mean to be argumentative, but none of my 870 Competition's caps will screw on fully unless the notch and pin are aligned. And according to the 870 Competition owner's manual, that's by design. Now, if someone replaced the pin with a shorter one, perhaps alignment wouldn't matter.

Ed

7. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Requested an 870 Comp owners manual from Remington, but got the regular 870 manual instead. I guess they don't have them anymore. If anyone would like to sell me one please contact me.

Harry Lyga

8. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

get one on e-bay, less than ten bucks shipped to you.

Rick

9. mike b.

mike b. Member

Great patterning gun. Just watch for the receiver crack. (mine cracked even though I kept cap on tight and used standard target loads) Drilling a 1/8 th inch hole at the end of crack will usually stop it. Have you noticed the 1000 has that long relief cut behind the bolt handle cut? This gun needs it too.

10. mike b.

mike b. Member

Photo of repair

11. mike b.

mike b. Member

Oooopps.......meant 1100

12. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

I need a reciever and magazine tube for mine, the threads at the end of the tube broke.

Rick

13. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Thank you Hivoltfl for the ebay tip. Can you just replace the tube if you can find one? When mine breaks I'll have to machine another one. That's what they pay me for. I haven't cut metal in a long time and maybe forgot how to do it!

Harry

14. joee12

joee12 Member

On my 870 comp, the pin does not stick out, so there is no way to align the pin in the notch, should I be concerned? Thanks, Joe

15. rmctaggart

rmctaggart TS Member

Hey Hal1225 send me a e-mail and i will reply with a 870 comp manual others on trapshooter sent to me it is free and will help. bob mctaggart

16. Tom Gonos

Tom Gonos Member

Can anyone tell me how often they clean the gas assist on there 870 comp.And what they use? Thanks

17. AveragEd

I clean mine almost every time I shoot the gun and use bore solvent on a rag.

Ed

18. Tom Gonos

Tom Gonos Member

THANKS ED

19. AveragEd

I agree with Mac but it would be tough to convince Remington that something that didn't sell well in the 1980s won't flop 30 years later. Of course, what they would sell for today won't seem as expensive as it did back then.

But it's doubtful Remington would invest the man hours into making the same quality barrels as the Comps had. We'd probably get the same barrels as today's Classic Trap uses.

Ed

20. joee12

joee12 Member

Thanks Mac, I appreciate it.

With all the stories about cracked receivers, can I shoot handicap loads, up to 1250 FPS? I normally shoot 2 3/4 or 3 Dram, thanks, Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.